1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Desperate Journey - Primary 5 project

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Milkandchalk, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I'm going to post this on opinion too - not sure what the traffic is like on this sparkly new forum.
    I'm starting the Desperate Journey with my P5 class this term and wondering if anyone knows of any good support material to go with it? I've been trawling the net but thus far haven't been too successful.
    Cheers
    Milky x

2. Milkandchalk

I'm going to post this on opinion too - not sure what the traffic is like on this sparkly new forum.
    I'm starting the Desperate Journey with my P5 class this term and wondering if anyone knows of any good support material to go with it? I've been trawling the net but thus far haven't been too successful.
    Cheers
    Milky x

3. I did this a few years ago with a P5/6 class, in conjunction with the Highland Clearances. You're right, there's not a lot of support material around, although the BBC Highland Clearances section is helpful.

I ended up simply reading the novel to my class and prepared a workbook of questions myself. Although the kids each had their own copy of the questions, I varied the Q&A sessions by sometimes using the day's passage as the basis for a game of Team X, which they preferred.

I still have a copy of the workbook (in Word format) if you are interested.

4. Milkandchalk

If you wouldn't mind me taking a wee look that would be super. Thanks very much [​IMG]
    My email is laine115@hotmail.com
    Milkyx

5. Have just sent you a copy. It covers the whole novel - most teachers I have spoken to usually leave out the Canada section, which mystifies me.

The whole book lends itself so much to art/craft/drama - the possibilities are endless -that I'm sure you will have trouble knowing where to stop!

Enjoy.

6. Milkandchalk

Thankyou so much for this!

Very much appreciated.

7. Hi

We are doing the same topic too - would it be possible to get a copy please. We too are planning to use Desperate Journey for Clearances topic.

happylearning@hotmail.com

thank you

8. It's winging its way to you now.

9. Thank you for prompt reply- much appreciated!!

I managed to put up the wrong e-mail address!!! Start of year and all that!

If you could please re-send?

happylearning@hotmail.co.uk

10. Hi RailroadGin
    I have the Desperate Journey Book and if all all possible would welcome a copy of your Workbook to use with my class. My email address is cmackellar@gmail.com. I will be eternally grateful.

11. I would really appreciate a copy please, I'm a trainee teacher who along with some of my friends are developing our own pack, but I would still appreciate anything you have.

12. Hi there.
    I would really appreciate it if you you could forward what you have on to me.
    Thanks (email is michaelatwemlow@yahoo.co.uk)

13. Could i also jump on the bandwagon and askd for a copy please? many thanks :)

fullerton_michelle@yahoo.co.uk

14. Hi there
    Just looking up materials for The Desperate Journey topic and came across your e mail about the workbook you have. I was wondering if I could get a copy of that? There is not a lot out there and it would be a good starter. My e mail is nmwilson14@hotmail.com.
    I would appreciate it
    Thanks
    Nicola

15. Have just uploaded the workbook into the resources section.
    Sorry for the delay - like everyone else, I've been somewhat busy!

16. Hi
    I am doing the Highland Clearances through the Desperate Journey this term. if you still have that workbook or any other helpful resources i would be very grateful. My email is lynnewelsh'hotmail.com

thanks very much
    Lynne

17. I am just starting planning for this book for next term.
    Would it be too cheeky to ask if you still had the workbook you created?
    Thanks a million :))
    If there is a problem than so be it :))
    Have the best easter, John Littlewood, Scottish Borders :)

18. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

See Post 15 - the stuff is in the TES resources section!

19. This isn't support material rather support ideas.

I did the Highland Clearances with a P5/6 class 2 years ago and got so much out of it through drama and ICT.

We created our own town working in small groups as clans. As we progressed through the story our clans 'experienced' the same events as that of the story. We created freeze frame images to upload onto Comic Life and then made a comic strip of our story.

Even had someone come in as the factor to evict the pupils. Got lots of writing out of it e.g. imagined personal response through a diary format.

Hope the ideas help.