1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Dennis Skinner song

Discussion in 'Personal' started by frodo_magic, Sep 27, 2020.

1. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

Funny song, funny party. Thanks be to God that the Herberts in the photo (the one where Den appears to be joking around wearing a wig while Foot puts his name in his mouth) never got into power. What a nightmare for the economy, jobs, common sense:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-54293767

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Jim Callaghan was the last left wing Government we had. We have been ruled by the right ever since (Nulabour was right of centre). Great job they have made of it.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Jim Callaghan also had a song, albeit one that never troubled the charts. Take it away John:

blazer likes this.
  4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

He was a tirelessly hard working constituency MP who never had his snout in the trough in all those years in Parliament. A good man and a great MP.

5. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

"A good man and a great MP"

There were some good points e.g. he tirelessly supported BREXIT and wanted out of Europe all his career. There are some not so good things e.g. he voted to get Corbyn to lead the LP - a very poor judgement call that led to Labour's worst defeat in living memory.

It's all very well being an MP if you can win the real vote as a party and actually govern. Sadly, like many Labour MPs, his views were so Hard Left, he was pretty much a Eunuch MP, all his career reduced to watching and fantasising from the sidelines about real Government, making a real difference. All he could do was make quips, moan, complain, be an opposition MP.

6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Well @frodo_magic he was actually my constituency MP for a good chunk of my life. I'm talking about what he did for his constituents. He was truly one of a kind.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Frodo, I think the sarcasm must have gone over your head!