1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The demise of Entry Level

Discussion in 'English' started by ElaineB66, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,
    hope you're all enjoy ing the hols...they go too fast!
    I am starting a new job in September teaching English in a SEBD school. I would just like to ask if anyone has any ideas about qualifications I can enter students for who, because of SEBD would find GCSE too challenging. Is there anything other than Functional Skills that carries valuable accreditation?
    There are some students who have already gained level 1 Functional Skills, but I am told level 2 would be beyond them. They are yr11 in September.
    Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    Thanks guys
    Elaine

2. Entry Level qualifications are what you are probably after. Current ones are being discontinued in 2013 but there must be replacement stuff. Have a look on the exam board's websites for what they are offering. WJEC offers Entry Pathways - wjec.co.uk

3. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Agree with ArthurDent about WJEC. We have done entry level with some students who we thought would not be able to access the amount of reading that is required for Foundation Level. They enjoyed doing the exams and we had good results for them. The main point being that if they had done Foundation level they would have really struggled and the reading of the texts on the exam paper would have been too much for them.