1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The demand for math student teachers

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by DonWileyQuxote, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I failed my math pgce last February and was granted a repeat teaching placement this year. There are 7 of us on the course this year without a placement in a school and we are still waiting to hear the outcome.
    We have been prohibited by our teaching provider from finding our own placement. It is is possible that a number of us will be unplaced in a school and then we will be unable to collect our pgce and become math teachers. Is this a trend in math departments and are there less resources to train students and would you rely solely on your ITT provider to find your placement?

2. I failed my math pgce last February and was granted a repeat teaching placement this year. There are 7 of us on the course this year without a placement in a school and we are still waiting to hear the outcome.
    We have been prohibited by our teaching provider from finding our own placement. It is is possible that a number of us will be unplaced in a school and then we will be unable to collect our pgce and become math teachers. Is this a trend in math departments and are there less resources to train students and would you rely solely on your ITT provider to find your placement?

3. DM

DM New commenter

I don't understand what you mean by "Is this a trend in math (sic) departments". The mathematics departments have not colluded to stop you contacting them, this is the rule of your PGCE provider. If you were asking whether schools are more reluctant to take trainee teachers than in the past, the answer is no. In times of tight budgets, every source of income is welcomed gratefully.

4. Thanks for your reply DM. Some of my colleagues on the course have surreptitously made applications to mathematics departments only to be told there are no resources available to place and supervise that student or they get no reply whatsoever.

5. It may be that if a maths dept was contacted directly, they may have thought that it meant it would be a GTP placement (which the school would have to pay for).
    No idea why a school can't tell a PGCE student that they would be happy to take them BUT it needs to be done through the correct channels etc. That's what I would say.

In some sad cases, it may be that the HOd is so busy writing cover lessons etc, that they feel that they couldn't do a decent job at mentoring a PGCE student?

6. I'm aware there have been huge problems placing PGCE students this year because there have been substantial changes to the requirements which have made schools more reluctant to take them. I can't remember the specifics off hand because I havent been directly invovled in this but I know there have been lots of stressed tutors and students because of the changes.
    I'm really, really sorry you're in this situation. What a nightmare.

7. DM

DM New commenter

How strange that I have had three PGCE mathematics students so far this academic year but am completely unaware of these "substantial changes to the requirements".

8. Indeed. I'll try and puzzle out what's going on when I get the chance. PM me on Tuesday or Wednesday to remind me if you're really bothered.

9. Maybe they are changes provduced by certain ITE providers, rather than being national changes? I also haven't experienced any changes in the system where I work.

10. DM

DM New commenter

Well if weebee find out next week, she can enlighten us. I don't think any national changes have been made in the past year.

11. could this be because you exist the same universe as the rest of us rather than some space-time-continuum parallel one?

12. Good point Flora!

Maybe PGCE stands for Parallel .......

(no risky menomics though)

13. bad pipipi! [​IMG]

14. RE the changes
    IIRC schools will apply to be formal training centres and will have to be outstanding. They will govern the local ITT landscape on most fronts.
    I shall see if I can remember where I read it and dig it out. I have a feeling it also spoke of people teaching without a degree

15. I thought these were the proposed changes in the White Paper. Shouldn't affect current trainees.

16. DM

DM New commenter

These are proposals for the future Beta.

17. Teaching schools, of which there will initially be very few in each LA will need to be outstanding and already have some links to local uni's etc. but if that's the only schools that can take trainees, there's going to be a big shortage of places.

18. Just out of interest, if only some schools are going to be "Teaching Schools", what will the rest be doing?
    [​IMG]

19. composing lewd mnemonics?

20. IIRC it was for cohort starting 2011-2012?
    DM do you have more info, I can only remember bits of it.