1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The decision is made...

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Sundaytrekker, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Well, I have given my resignation and everyone has been told. Not happening until the end of the year though. It was surprisingly difficult to do but I am sure it is the right decision. I will finish my time as a headteacher. I don't want to be principal of an academy........

Yoda-, Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I suspect many others that can will follow you.

jlishman2158 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Fortunately I can still take my teachers' pension at 60. It's those a bit younger I feel sorry for.

jlishman2158, Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Congratulations. According to my countdown app I have 853 days to go.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

We can all still retire at any time from age 55. However, in 20 years time it will be much harder to stop at 60 or 55 than it is now. Young teachers don't realise what is in front of them?

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Congratulations. There is life beyond school. Look forward to it.

7. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Enjoy, have a good retirement. I agree the young teachers have a dismal future with the current regime. I hope for sunshine and common sense eventually.

Sundaytrekker and wanet like this.
  8. Sundaytrekker

Thank you, everyone. Yes @holdingon, I agree that anyone can still retire before 60 but I was meaning with no reduction to my pension. I, too, hope the pressures ease in teaching for everyone. Although there were definitely some things that were not as good in the late 70s when I started; there were many things that were better. We had time to learn our craft and more freedom and creativity within the curriculum- certainly in primary schools, anyway.

Now I need to research my AVC options further......

lindenlea likes this.