1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The death penalty - a justice, a deterrent & a mercy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Should the death penalty be reinstituted?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    81.7%
  1. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

And you appear to have ignored my point that the use of the death penalty in the USA is de facto broken if not de jure.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No, I was speaking of my mental state. The conditions may conspire to provoke me emotionally to be part of the mob but I hope that I would have the wit not to act in any way; not even as some sly Saul. A fellow teacher once suggested that execution should be allowed for the closest relative to strangle the condemned person or not at all. I thought that that was interesting but I think that some would take up the offer. I'm not asking anyone to be executioner in my place.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If it's on the statutes then it is very much functional. Look at it this way; on the one hand you have been shown to be wrong but on the other hand you have learnt something. Be happy with this, contesting the facts further just brings more attention to your false claim.

woollani likes this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

Why are you comparing the measured and deliberate process of justice with mob rule? The question is to the reinstitution of a judicial death penalty not whether any of us would join a posse to lynch someone from a convenient lamppost.

Were the death penalty reinstituted then why not? An executioner would be as legitimate an officer of the court as any other you support via your taxes.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm not comparing them. If a mob finds someone having committed an act that the mob and I find reprehensible I might be swayed emotionally to the view of the mob but I hope I would realise in time to not act and even try to stave off an act of murder. I always remember the mob attacking the van removing the killers of James Bulger. They were ready to tear children limb from limb.
    I don't think that any officer of the court should have such a job since I don't think we should have the death penalty.

6. Vince_Ulam

Then why are you talking about a mob in a discussion about judicial execution? I've read back through your responses on this discussion but I do not see any legitimate route from judicial execution to "throwing rocks".

I doubt it. That was an expression of anger. The van attackers were attacking a van and they knew that they were attacking a van.

You've ignored the condition to avoid the question.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was just pointing out that at times, when there has been some report of horrors carried out, I might explode and demand slaughter but that I really do not think that there should be slaughter. I was trying to explain that a possible human reaction was not my considered view on the matter and that I am against the death penalty.
    I hope so but my experience of mobs is that they can quickly convince themselves that they need blood. Some can buy into that more easily than others.
    I haven't; I've re-iterated my position. If the death penalty was reinstated it would be the law but I would continue to speak and vote against it.

8. Vince_Ulam

You oppose it for the purposes I give in the opening post, I hope, rather than from any misreading of it as a demand for slaughter.

If a crowd is convinced that it needs blood then it gets it. In the Bulger case a van got pushed a bit. I am not aware of a modern example of a British mob murdering a criminal on the doorsteps of a courthouse.

That'll do.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I am against the Death Penalty.

red_observer likes this.
  10. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Why use two words when one will do. Murder.

11. Vince_Ulam

Is that a super-villain or some WWF superstar?

12. Vince_Ulam

Killing is always murder and those who kill are always murderers?

13. Vince_Ulam

Should anyone wish to know what has been removed from the opening post then please check your news feeds for recent reports of families murdered by arsonists.

No guilt was alleged by the opening post but you know how it is, there was my name and there was the Report button.

woollani likes this.
  14. rosygrl

rosygrl New commenter

There are teachers on here who are actually condoning the death penalty? Unbelievable. You should not be allowed into a classroom with your states of mind.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    To take the life of someone by the state is murder itself.

15. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Sorry which people in particular?

16. Vince_Ulam

See post #53.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't get how a news story... in the news... right now... needs to be removed.

Genuinely confused...

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  18. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

When I think of the deliberate and cruel death inflicted on those poor little children, who had done nothing to deserve such a dreadful end to THEIR lives, I sometimes feel that perhaps a just punishment would be to put the offenders on an island where they could never escape and leave them to get on with it, and have time to think about what they've done. Yes, those people are knowingly and rationally bad and there is no other way of describing them. They are not fit to live with civilized human beings.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  19. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

No. No one has the right to take another person's life under any circumstances. But...if people are sentenced to life imprisonment, then this is what it should mean.

Laphroig likes this.
  20. Vince_Ulam

Not in self-defence nor war?

wanet likes this.