1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The death penalty - a justice, a deterrent & a mercy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Should the death penalty be reinstituted?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    81.7%
  1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do you think that Brady was 'hurt' by his incarceration?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

False:

[​IMG]
    Wikipedia.org, accessed 13th December 2017.

woollani likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

If it does not occur to a person that to plan & perform the introduction & ignition of fuel into a house full of children is bad then it's probably best that they are not allowed to remain at large in Society.

wanet likes this.
  4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

How do you prison was a punishment for him? It's a very cushy life, it seems.

My brother works in a category A prison - prisoners you will have seen on the news, including terrorists. Even the terrorists, normally in solitary, are allowed to fraternise with other inmates, as it's against their human rights to disallow them access to communal prayers, apparently...

5. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I said "is available" and "tend to be". It would be interesting to pin down which retentionist states actually execute the most condemned prisoners. Some of those states in red just keep the death penalty on the books or place condemned prisoners on "death row" for decades while endless appeals go on. If my memory serves me correctly, when the UK had capital punishment, the death sentence was rarely delayed as long as it appears to be the case States-side.

As for deterrence, hanging, drawing and quartering was introduced as an aggravated death penalty in the Middle Ages for what was regarded as the extreme crime of treason. It didn't stop people rebelling against the monarchy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I agree with that but prison keeps them from society. Or mental health facilities. Both of these give some hope for their future.

7. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

When we did have the death penalty juries sometimes acquitted, rather than convicting, as they weren't happy with the death penalty.

8. Vince_Ulam

You do not think there is a point at which people place themselves beyond hope of redemption?

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

A state that took the life of such a person would place itself beyond redemption.

Orkrider2 and bombaysapphire like this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Yes, you were wrong:

[​IMG]
    Wikipedia.org, accessed 13th December 2017.

Yet they have the death penalty and your attempt to portray the death penalty as something which could only be supported by poor & uneducated people with dubious race politics is broken.

woollani likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Get me at the right time and I would happily throw rocks myself, never mind holding robes but no I don't accept judicial killing after trial. Shooting someone to prevent immediate damage to others is okay in my book but I am aware of difficulty decisions.
    Edited to remove a 'generally' which was a verbal tick.

Geoff Thomas and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

How do you support this claim?

woollani likes this.
  13. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

It's not the only case because it isn't a case yet. A report of an alleged confession will have to be tested at an appeal.

woollani likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

Was that yes or no?

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It is a no for donning the black cap and making a pronouncement about being hanged (or whatever the state uses for punishment).

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

From Wikipedia:

"He complained bitterly about conditions at Ashworth, which he hated. In 1999, his right wrist was broken in what he claimed was an "hour-long, unprovoked attack" by staff. Brady subsequently went on hunger strike, but while English law allows patients to refuse treatment, those being treated for mental disorders under the Mental Health Act 1983 have no such right if the treatment is for their mental disorder. He was therefore force-fed and transferred to another hospital for tests, after he fell ill. He recovered, and in March 2000 asked for a judicial review of the legality of the decision to force-feed him, but was refused permission.

"Myra gets the potentially fatal brain condition, whilst I have to fight simply to die. I have had enough. I want nothing, my objective is to die and release myself from this once and for all. So you see my death strike is rational and pragmatic. I'm only sorry I didn't do it decades ago, and I'm eager to leave this cesspit in a coffin.""

It doesn't sound like he enjoyed his time behind bars much.

17. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Like judicial execution, life in solitary is not sanctioned as a punishment in the UK. Also contrary to ECHR I think.

woollani and Vince_Ulam like this.
  18. Vince_Ulam

Then yes while others do what you will not?

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But his situation might have satisfied some need. He never simply gave up.

20. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That claim about levi Bellfield being the murderer in that case has been debunked. The prisoner who made the claim (saying that LB admitted it to him) has been transferred to another prison.