1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The death penalty - a justice, a deterrent & a mercy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 13, 2017.

?

Should the death penalty be reinstituted?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    81.7%
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

In the light of crimes such as that below, should the death penalty be reinstituted? Victims & their relatives would see justice done, potential murders would be deterred & their intended victims saved, while convicted murderers would be spared many years of imprisonment.

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

DailyMail.co.uk, 13th December 2017.

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I thought it would not be long before, inspired by the imminent freedom from EU legislation, the call for the restoration of capital punishment would rear its ugly head.

MAGAorMIGA and coffeekid like this.
  3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

No, because (unlike other punishments) any mistake cannot be reversed.

But, in cases such as this one, life should mean 'life'. No release, ever.

4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

It's nothing to do with the EU. Some people have been in favour for many years,

woollani and Vince_Ulam like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

IMO No... the State already has enough power over our lives, we should not give it the authority to end it even if the cause is as terrible as the story linked to.

T34, thatmaninthehat and red_observer like this.
  6. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

The only irrefutable (non-utilitarian) argument in favour of the death sentence is its role in retribution - it is, by nature, the ultimate punishment. Yet beneath this facade of justice, there is the primal desire for human sacrifice. "I want him hanged for the sake of justice," is much less ugly than, "I want him dead so my bitter self (which was not the direct victim) can feel better". Allowing these feelings to send a man (or woman) to the gallows is wrong. We should not kill for the sake of feeling - it is surely immoral.

A utilitarian argument can be made for executing criminals who would without doubt continue to kill, but, to my knowledge, no one sentenced to imprisonment for life without the hope of release has killed in custody.

thatmaninthehat and Noja like this.
  7. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I've no objection to it in principle. I'd happily pull the lever on the above myself. Unfortunately I don't have quite enough faith in the legal system to get it right. Look at the murders of Lin and Megan Russell - Michael Stone would have swung for them and now it turns out Levi Bellfield, a man I'd happily watch being kicked to death, did it.

8. Jolly_Roger1

Yes, Britain's abolition of the death penalty predated its joining the EEC. No state can belong to the EU and have the death penalty. One of the stumbling blocks to Turkey joining the EU was its imposition of the DP. One of the reasons that Britain abandoned the DP was, as @Calpurnia99 said, the accumulation of cases in which the wrong person had been executed. Since 1965, if hanging had not been abolished, how many would have been executed wrongly? Think of the Birmingham Six. More insidious is the fact that while a convicted prisoner remains alive, miscarriages of justice are more likely to come light. After he or she is dead, much less so.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    TCSC47, ilovesooty and calamansi like this.
  9. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

No too many mistakes are made. Life in solitary is far better for disgusting people.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The death sentence deprives a person of life, but the punishment is over quickly. Ian Brady's punishment went on until he died naturally. Which version of justice hurts the killer more?

colpee, vannie and Vince_Ulam like this.
  11. elledriver

Allegedly.

artboyusa likes this.
  12. elledriver

By extension people should be executed for lesser crimes as you believe judicial execution is kinder than a long prison sentence.

woollani likes this.
  13. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Even Albert Pierrepoint, Britain's most famous twentieth-century hangman, allegedly turned against capital punishment in the end, believing that none of the executions he carried out had achieved anything. I just can't help thinking that the reintroduction of the death penalty would be a step backwards, not a step forwards. Just look at the list of countries that retain capital punishment. The states of the USA where capital punishment is still available also tend to be the most economically and educationally deprived and the most racially and socially divided.

ilovesooty likes this.
  14. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Policeman in charge of getting Bellfield convicted says he had a cast iron alibi for the murders for which Stone was convicted.

15. Jolly_Roger1

@Dodros : Hear, hear! The DP has never been shown to have any deterrent value on the murder rate, so its only function is to exact revenge.

16. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I am unable to answer the poll question using either of the two options available. Not without qualification.
    As yet I have seen no indication that any political party has suggested any change to our current system and so feel no need to debate this matter with any intent until they do

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Not the only case where the wrong person has been identified while there was a risk of the perpetrator going free.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

upload_2017-12-13_13-38-19.png

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-parties/issues/social/death-penalty

;)

19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Nor can any European country that has ratified the Council of Europe's European Convention on Human Rights (which is everyone except Russia, if I remember correctly).

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You think such people as those above are knowingly and rationally bad?