1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The death of the banana!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Jan 24, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35131751

Buy a banana and it will almost certainly be descended from one plant grown at an English stately home. But now we face losing one of the world's most-loved fruits.

Sitting in picture-perfect Peak District grounds, Chatsworth House seems an unlikely birthplace for today's global banana industry.

But practically every banana consumed in the western world is directly descended from a plant grown in the Derbyshire estate's hothouse 180 years ago.

This is the story of how the Cavendish became the world's most important fruit - and why it and bananas as we know them could soon cease to exist.

Will you weep for the death of the banana?

On a personal note... god I loathed Chatsworth House.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My father was born in 1946. He told me that they had to be shown in primary school how to eat a banana ... peeling the skin off... as they'd not seen one ever due to rationing and the war.

Sillow and lindenlea like this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I used to stand in the banana queue with my mum for ages to buy one or two. I am even older than your father, lan.:eek:

Middlemarch took me to Chatsworth last year and I found it stunning. I specially liked the Farm Shop.

Sillow and lanokia like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A banana queue? Wow...

I got my weekly stock from Morrisons yesterday but was disappointed at the quality. Not sure if it's just their stock or the impact of this fungus!

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Surely there are different varieties, just like with apples and pears?

The Fair Trade bananas I buy from Aldi, have a much nicer taste than the other ones they sell. :confused:

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The Bananas we eat are an infertile mutant of the species. As they do not produce seeds all banana plants are clones (cuttings) taken from the original tree. This, as they are all genetically identical one decent virus that affects one will affect them all!

BelleDuJour and lanokia like this.
  7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Kew Gardens cultivate many varieties and are cross-breeding to get fungus resistant ones.

Evelyn Waugh, the father of Auberon Waugh, was known to be a very superior and difficult man. During the war his wife managed to get 4 bananas and took them to the dinner table for the 4 (I think)children. The father commandeered them all and made the family watch him ceremoniously peeling and eating them.

8. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

It's almost as if the Irish Potato Famine taught them nothing...
    I couldn't care less if I never eat another banana again but my grand-daughter would mourn and grieve.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I'm not keen on bananas, but I do like them baked in rum, butter and demerara sugar and I like the small Lebanese ones, not sue what they are really called but I got some when I was in Lebanon.

cuteinpuce likes this.
  10. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

There is a story of bananas being used as torture weapons during the second world war.
    A German officer was captured and awaiting questioning.
    He was brought some food including a banana.
    He assumed from this, that the British were winning the war handsomely and were able to be casual with bananas and so gave them information ...
    ..it was the only banana in the country or something.

Sillow, grumpydogwoman and lanokia like this.
  11. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My Banana at coffee break keeps me going until my long awaited lunch break. If I have biscuits or cake i tend to have a sugar crash.

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes, we have no bananas! (Someone had to!)

Lascarina likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When the government started giving free fruit to under 7s at school some time ago I had a child in my Nursery class who tried to eat a banana sideways on complete with skin.

lanokia and Lascarina like this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

By the way, Chatsworth is lovely and you are free to roam in the park although you have to pay for the house, garden or farmyard.

Lascarina likes this.
  15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What a pig!

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Worth every penny, I thought.

InkyP likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Horrid things. They make me heave.

Last school I unwisely chose a rather scrumptious looking pudding.

Banoffee pie. I nearly died.

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

An abomination!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I agree. The shock nearly killed me. I was expecting some kind of innocuous sponge pudding.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Your grand-daughter will eventually, in many, many years from now, be allowed to sit at God's right hand.