1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Death of FE is nigh!

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by millicent_bystander, Mar 26, 2012.

1. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Read this article Cosmos. And I've just applied for a post in an FE college ... [​IMG]
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/mar/25/academy-federation-run-college-profit

2. The only way I see this working is by cutting those courses deemed unprofitable. There will be a very large number of school leavers with nowhere else to go and lecturers out of work.
    Fewer evening classes, fewer part time courses......great!
    Will college heads protest? - of course not; they will still have a job. Will the unions agitate? Token protest at best I suspect.

3. I think you've got the situation summed up accurately Cosmos. Those things have already started happening at the college I work at.
    It used to be the case that FE Principals were instrumental in moving education in the right direction but they seem to have lost their spines somewhere along the way. True of the Unions too I suppose.

We're doooooooomed!

4. It started a couple of years ago at my old college too poeme - ditching part time courses and 1 year NC courses - and that in particularly popular, over-subscribed areas too. Madness.
    We all said so at the time and then the redundancies started.........funny how many of the more vocal ones no longer had jobs or were given such ***** teaching they were provoked into leaving!

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Yep, we are all f***ed, unless old enough to retire (before they close the pension off). This is why the IfL are not in business. The government (aka Gove) do not want professionalism in FE because none of the private providers are such. Private providers sit "students" (aka unemployed) in front of a computer terminal (which may or may not actually work) for 16 weeks and claim thousnds per student off the HMG. Its essentially a licence to print money.

6. Uttern nonsense Jacob. Have you been unemployed recently?

7. The reason why the ifl is facing an uncertain future is that its membership never embraced the idea of a professional body and even less opted to do QTLS to show CPD or to provide evidence of professional currency. No wonder the vested interests as you suggest can now pick of teachers with impunity. Also FE in the past never was a sector populated with highly qualified teachers as many of the courses/qualifications were led by experienced trades people. Being qualified does not necessarily denote a good teacher the same as being unqualified does not imply lack of competency.

8. Agreed.
    The 2007 Regs were an attempt to create a level playing field across FE with C/P/DTLLS and the ultimate professional achievement: QTLS.
    Shame the IfL made such a hash of it when it was given such a golden opportunity.

9. Grumblers all of you! IfL did a lot of good.

10. The IfL made a hash of nothing. It counselled against various aspects of the regulations, but others (LLUK, AoC, etc) countered in areas such as the extraordinary 'associate' teaching role and we ended up with a far from perfect set of regulations. The IfL did the very best it could with the tools it was given and it is totally unfair to say it made a has of anything.
    What is often forgotten though is the fact that Fazaeli was the lead civil servant overseeing the regulations and she was responsible for the many unworkable aspects contained therein. Fazaeli was an extraordinary appointment. I suspect the IfL thought it was buying influnce. Perversely it was buying the architect of its own undoing. Fazaeli pandered to the unions and employers in delivering a flawed regulatory framework. She never had the interests of teachers at heart then and it was always going to be a tall order to suggest otherwise. This in my mind is the reason IfL fell.

11. Fell? Past tense? I don't recall seeing any conclusive evidence that it has fallen yet - the report was not completed yet and the petitions are still out.

12. An interesting theory, teachered, one which is new to me. I do not have the requisite knowledge to make any judgement about whether you are right or wrong on this one. Can you expand on your point that Ms Fazaeli was an 'extraordinary appointment' and that she 'never had the interests of teachers at heart'?

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Not utter nonsense pal, I have had students removed from courses to go and do a course through the Jobcentre, this is what several have described when they came back. If the student is on my course and attending and achieving, why do the *** at Jobcentres remove them to do their training which leads nowhere?

14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

This is a pile of **** too. The IfL was not necessary, and the idea that FE lecturers are not qualified is an urban myth, perpetuated by plonkers like you. Most FE lecturers are much better qualified than teachers, with years of industrial experience, and often membership of professional or "trade" bodies, which is why we were so riled about being forced to join the IfL which then did nothing but spend Government money on salaries for the top dogs. I do not know of any single member of staff in my College (largest in the area) who has not got a teaching qualification, because it is a requirement to do the job.
    To paraphrase your last (daft) statement: Being a member of Ifl does not necessarily denote a good teacher, but being unqualified gets you nowhere.

15. Scuse me?!!
    Showing CPD was reduced to sending an email that promised you had done some, cross your heart!
    I
    tried to engage, as did many other of my colleagues, I saw the need and
    tried to espouse it as a good thing, as did my trainers and many colleagues.
    BUT it
    was so London centric, offered little of real use to me in my job and
    pfaffed around with unecessarily complicated instructions on how do do
    simple things that I gave up! And it is/was so politicised that it had nothing in common with my life/work or needs.
    I do think that is probably true. And I too think that Fazaeli was possibly at the root of the disconnectedness of the IfL - I had a speech of hers somewhere that just made me cringe! Far too political and lacking in educational roots!
    FE needs to be recognised as being a multi faceted oddity and embraced as such. It does not need to be squeezed into a regulation shaped box!

16. !!!
    BUT it
    was so London centric, offered little of real use to me in my job
    !!!

This, Pobble was all too true. Well stated this one.