1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the days seem even longer in reception now...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Feb 8, 2011.

1. First of all so sorry for the repeated thread which I poasted earlier on this subject. I am not sure what haapened= a gremlin issue perhaps.
    I visited a new school recently and spoke with an experiencef TA who worked in Yr 1, Yr 2 and Reception. I aked her about her preferred age group and she said that although she enjoyed the age groups equally, she found that since the advent of a predominatlly ci led curriculum, she found the days in Yr R seemd endless and for that reason she had enjoyed working with that class the least.
    I am not passing judgement on this comment, but wondered what others think and if you can think of the reason behind the comment.

2. Yes I know someone like this...

She prefers to be actively teaching all day rather than joining in, letting the child lead, observing, listening etc. I think it is usually an attribute of someone who doesn't fully understand child development. Sounds like her days go very slowly when she has to do things the EYFS way and prefers to be firing questions at the kids all day!

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I think we just need to appreciate that EYFS is not for everyone! I used to work with an excellent TA who came to EYFS from KS1 when I was an NQT. She disliked the way of working in EYFS and is now doing a great job in one of our junior classes. I'm the opposite. Having trained for KS1 and 2, I had not idea that EYFS was the place for me til I got there!

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Let's face it - there are many reasons for days passing slowly, and not just in EYs.For example:
    no morning assembly [KSs 1&2]
    a difficult class [all stages]
    some ghastly 'literecy scheme' lesson that leaes you maddened with boredom and frustration [KSs 1&2]
    a Focus Activity that's as popular as a plate of cold sick [EYs]
    overlong hymn practices [KSs1&2]]
    wet playtimes - unless it's your duty! [KS1&2s]
    One of Those Days
    a hangover
    feeling like a clipboard slave [EYs]
    long staff meetings

etc etc

Our present nursery children have adapted well, don't tell tales all the time, have a great group sense of humour and are fun to be with. I love my weekly day with them. A few have language delays, so my particular interest is helping them gently to develop their talking skills. This makes the time pass quickly.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Eek! LITERACY