1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The day that ofsted called

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by beansontoast1, Mar 7, 2014.

1. The day that Ofsted called - By the one year old teacher

Time: 2 minutes past the nonexistent lunch bell, I was keeping some students behind when a colleague of mine opened the door.

"Are you okay?". Yeah, why wouldn't I be?

"Yeah why?". "We've had the call. Got emergency meeting now". O ***.

After a quick pep talk from the head and a rushed canteen lunch, (fish and chips yummy), it was back upstairs for period five.

Time: 10 minutes passed end of school day, emergency department meeting held. Ideas for tomorrows plans were generated, computer room was hogged so we could all sit together (less stress in numbers? erm I think not), food provided. Couldn't really eat it though as I felt physically sick. Hands are clammy, heart rate has increased, hair tied up in messy bun.

One hour passed. I've never really understood the term brain block until now. I also didn't realise I have a tendency to exhale like a dragon when people talk remotely loud whilst I'm trying to concentrate..what? Why am I thinking about this now? Focus dammit. Okay. I will write my 3 page lesson plans for my four lessons by 6pm and then double check my marking. I also want to sit nearer a printer - (quickly relocate to different room). Different room has printer but seriously slow computers, ain't nobody got time for that - (quickly relocate (again) to different room).

7pm: starting to sweat a bit now as time is going seriously fast and I've only typed up 2 plans. My feet are really hurting, wonder if I should just run bare foot to the printer down the corridor?

8pm: Okay, 1..2..3..deep breaths. Stupid breathing techniques are reminding me of what my first-time-mum to be co-worker said about stress levels in the mother causing an increase in development of stress receptors in the brain of the baby. What the f***? I'm not even pregnant. FOCUS dammit!

9pm: Earrings, watch and shoes have come off to make me feel less constricted. Can't open a window to get some air as they don't open. What genius thought of that? Starting to hyperventilate.

9.16pm: Crisis at home, heading to the car. If I be quick I could make a round trip in one hour. Tears are welling up in my eyes at the thought of another hour lost. Call from home - "don't worry everything is okay, stay at school". Aww sweet family, thank f*** for that.

10pm: Fighting with the door to reprographics. Printing resources, cutting resources, printing resources, cutting resources. I will not be here at midnight. I will not be here at midnight. I will not be here at midnight.

A little while later, back upstairs lesson plans and resources printed and laid out ready for tomorrow. Okay, that's good, feeling a little bit calmer. More printing to do. This time: mark book, termly tracker, seating plans, class profiles. Fighting with the printer that keeps eating the paper - seriously, ain't nobody got time for that. I win. Har har printer.

11pm: Take a box of books into bearer-of-bad-news colleagues room and almost cry. Officially been at school 16 hours. No. I. Will. Not. Cry. I will not be here at midnight. I will not be here at midnight. I will not be here at midnight.

11.45pm - In the car driving home.

12.15am - Home. Made one slice of toast for dinner, too tired to eat it.

12.20am -Bed.

2. musodave

musodave New commenter

Beautifully written, Leave teaching and seek employment with Ben Elton.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I love this post, just hope that you survived the next two days.

What was the outcome - apart from everyone falling down from exhaustion?

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.