1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The day/morning after

Discussion in 'Personal' started by whitesofa, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Not sure if it is salt thing but all I want to do is eat crisps and eat rubbish. Is it just me? Some of my friends go for runs and eat good stuff. They tell me they feel hungover but it makes them feel better to exercise. I struggled to get out of bed before midday and then it was only to the sofa with a takeaway menu at 6. Am I really lazy?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I crave stuff like that the night before rather than the morning after. Although a bacon sandwich is hard to beat the next day and if there is takeaway leftover, I can't resist a nibble for breakfast. I love spice when feeling a little sorry for myself, so a curry often features for dinner and I regularly do a version of a Mexican breakfast which features lots of chilli - really takes the edge off and perks the senses up a bit. I usually eat lots of fruit and veg throughout the day, along with the salty and spicy stuff. My body seems to crave it.
    Exercising does work. In the past I've been a keen hill walker and mountaineer. I've started a few climbs with a hangover and they really do vanish once you start exerting yourself. Whether it's the endorphins or sweating it out or something else, I don't know but it works.
    I have to get out of the house and do something. Fresh air in the country or visiting somewhere interesting or even into town to do some shopping. If I stay indoors and do nothing productive when hungover I start to feek despondent and vaguely anxious about wasting a day.
    One thing is constant and essential with a hangover, though - tea. Cups and cups and cups of it.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Clearly, yes - the fact that you have named yourself after your sofa is an indication of the unfeasibly high esteem in which you hold it!
    Time to fight your way free of the sofa's clutches and get out and about. Laziness breeds laziness. Exercise, and little by little you will find yourself generally more invigorated as you quite simply will become fitter and will have more energy - it is not rocket science. What are you waiting for?

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Once went whitewater rafting with a terrible hangover on holiday - felt like death in the bus getting there but once immersed in cold water perked up very quickly.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If you can force yourself to exercise then it does help. As a student I used to drag myself out for a swim on the Sunday morning after sometimes. I felt a lot better for it.
    My food urge was always for starchy things and I could usually settle it with a jacket potato.