1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The dangers of loo rolls!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fruit_bat, Feb 22, 2012.

1. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

Hi all,
    Just wanted to pick your brains. I am doing a project on lighthouses and asked the children to bring in toilet rolls, kitchen rolls etc to make the shape of the lighthouse. The children brought loads of them in after the hols and I was really pleased, then a TA in school told me you weren't allowed to use emply loo rolls in the classroom because of spreading disesases. I have never heard this before! She said we could use them if they were microwaved for 3 minutes. Will they be ok to use if I do this? Can you microwave loo rolls?
    Thank you!

2. deanow

deanow New commenter

I'd been told this in the past, fruit bat, but my HT recently told me it was an urban myth. Apparently a colleague microwaved them and they simply went soggy!

3. deanow

deanow New commenter

Ah, that's useful, thanks Elizabeth.

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

It's an urban myth that has been repeated so often that many schools have absorbed it as policy.
    Look up Toilet Rolls on CLEAPSS... :)

5. If it were true it would be health and safety gone mad! What do these people think the children are going to contract from empty loo rolls exactly and what do they think they will do with them? Eat them maybe? Absolutely ridiculous!

6. It's one we actually got told on PGCE in the hushed tones reserved for utter educational gospel... I don't think it went down well when I commented that most people don't wipe their backsides on the cardboard tube and it was ridiculous! They looked at me like I was brutally disembowling the Easter Bunny on their dining table!

7. hee hee love it MisterFlibble

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm as sceptical as the next person when it comes to excessive H&S measures, but I don't like the idea of touching other people's empty loo rolls, so this is one 'initiative' I respect.
    Why?
    Not everybody keeps their roll in a holder. Hand-grabbed rolls can easily get wet or [​IMG] smeared.

9. fruit_bat

fruit_bat New commenter

I can see where you are coming from but the toilet rolls were inspected :)

10. you could use empty plastic or baking paper rolls instead. Could cut rolls in half if they are too tall and then continue on with the project. Also maybe your TA meant the rolls could have been in the bin before being taken out by an unsuspecting child. I use the rolls in art projects but I do all the saving of them so I know beyond a shadow of a doubt where they came from. Hope that helps!