1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The danger of latin tranlators?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Apr 4, 2017.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Dodros likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Having read some arguments about this already, I shall watch the progress (or lack thereof) of this thread with interest

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I'm sure the graffiti will add to the value of the homes....

Didactylos4 likes this.
  4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It's the only language they understand.

knitone and slingshotsally like this.
  5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Caesar adsum jam forti,
    Pompey adorat.

6. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

The story has been covered today by many news sites. The Mirror has the headline "Educated vandal defaces new £1.25million houses in Cambridge with graffiti - in LATIN". Vandal, yes; educated, no. "Locus in Domos Loci Populum" is merely the result of feeding "Local homes for local people" through Google Translate with the output set to Latin, nothing more. Not only are the case endings all wrong, but "locus" is the nominative singular of a noun meaning place and "loci" is its genitive singular or nominative plural, not an adjective meaning "local". I shudder to think what the result would have been if the graffiti artist had included a Latin verb with the potential for person, number, tense, mood and voice errors.:eek:

It's interesting that none of the reports so far have ventured a correct Latin translation of "Local homes for local people" although some classicists, including a professor of classics, have been approached. And no, I won't be offering one as I only have an O-level in Latin from the early 1960s.

The lesson is that Google Translate can be a helpful servant when translating into English but it makes a very bad master when translating into an unfamiliar foreign language. Caveat emptor! (Latin for "let the buyer beware").

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    bonxie, nomad and sabrinakat like this.
  7. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

There was no 'j' in Latin....

It also makes no sense - Caesar is present now/already to the brave (man). He adores Pompey??????????

nomad and sbkrobson like this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

For local people?
    I guess something like "ad populum patria" snce there isnt really a word in Latin for "local", more "native".
    Probably even better without the pronoun, and in a different case.

...hic

colpee and sabrinakat like this.
  9. sabrinakat

Local houses for local people = indigendae villae (native houses - nominative plural feminine) sunt (are) indigendis populis (for local people; dative plural masculine)....

indigendae villae sunt indigendis populis

;)

knitone and nomad like this.
  10. sabrinakat

Two other possibilities with the indigendae villae remaining nominative, feminine and plural:

indigendae villae sunt indigendis gentibus (dative, plural feminine). Technically, however, the 'sunt' should link nominative/plural/feminine, so....

I think the best answer is.......

indigendae villae sunt pro indigendis gentibus (ablative plural feminine linked with pro)

:)

11. sabrinakat

Five points to whoever can tell the mood of the verb caveat ;)

@grumpydogwoman ?

Dodros likes this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That'll be the subjunctive, innit?
    and just one point for whoever can tell the mood of a right wing graffiti artist who can only write in Splatin.

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. sabrinakat

What kind of subjunctive? ;)

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Hmm, I'm gonna go for Jussive Subjunctive.
    Y'know, like the ones Paddy McGuiness employs on his Classic TV show Tairk Me Oat.

**gin-fuelled muse** " in fact "Paddy McGuiness abuses Jussives and introduces" is the new "She sells sea shells on the sea shore..."

Dodros likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Neither was there a soft 'c'.

The name Caesar was pronounced 'Kaiser'.

16. sabrinakat

Yep :)

17. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I feel like I've fallen into the Life of Brian.

18. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Wow... there are some clever folks on here. I take my flat cap off to you. You should all register with 'Latin Grafitti Translators R Us' there's definitely a gap in the market.

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I was in Cambridge yesterday moaning about how it has changed so dramatically in the last forty years. Horrendous buildings, too many people (and I was one of them) and the loss of the wonderful peace, I recall.

It took me nearly two hours to drive thirty-two miles and the last hour was taken up with the last five miles. I then parked in the underground concrete car park, took steps up to the Grand Arcade (John Lewis) and then down to Fopp. I sat on a bench by Snowy Farr's memorial sculpture which is horrendous and misses the whole point of Snowy's charity work.

Each time I go I know it might be my last visit. I hate going there now.

Re these houses, the Penny Ferry wasn't all that great and it stood on the boundary to chaos. Just go over the tracks and see how you fare.

I used to park for free on King Street or at the Olivetti Centre. I love telling anyone who'll listen that Brown's restaurant is in the old V D Clinic at 'the old site' (Addenbrookes).

Another old friend has passed away so, I doubt I'll go back much again. I find it too painful to see what a hole it has become.

In and out in two hours. Just £4.00 parking fee. Off home with sadness. I loved living there but now I find it's just hard work going to Cambridge.

Even the fen Ditton Bumps.

20. May2

May2 Established commenter

I with @vannie [there are some clever folks on here. I take my flat cap off to you.[/QUOTE]
    I have never learnt any Latin but I do have knowledge of these houses and while obviously not condoning graffiti I can see where they are coming from. £1.25m for a house that is basically so close to its neighbour it is in a terrace, right on the road at the front with just an off road parking space in front of their garage and a very small communal bit of grass at the back before the river. The pictures in their advertising material must be taken with a wide angled lens as that bit of grass is extremely narrow. So 5 bedrooms but unsafe for families right on what might seem a picturesque river, but is in fact extremely noisy as the rowers are always out from early in the morning practising. If you have never heard the cox with their loud hailers shouting at their crew I can tell you it is anything but peaceful
    So I can understand why they are wanting local houses for local people.