1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The culture of secrecy

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lanokia, Oct 12, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've noticed there is a vast culture of secrecy in education [well doh Lanokia you don't say, thanks for getting on the same page as the rest of us].

Targets are conjured up using obscure alchemical mathematics driven by logic engines fro the era of phlogiston [not the poster].

Pay is shrouded in a cloak of volcanic ash through which no mortal light can shine.

Performance standards are opaque, blinding teachers under a search light gaze.

Academy chains operate in silent dances behind bureaucratic sheaves of forms and agendas.

Informal and Formal Capability are muttered in hushed words, whispered trembles of terrified M6-UPS3 holders, clinging to the security of their pension and hoping to just survive the next 5 years.

Controlled Assessment guidelines are breached daily, no piece of work is guaranteed to be the named pupils, instead the words might emanate from any number of sources but as long as the grading is good... who cares!

The actions of SLT, Governors and others are now unquestioned, the lone voices silenced by the application of inhuman machines of terror called 'systems'.

The basics? We're ******.

The secrecy is part [and only part] of what is killing education. Drag it all out into the cold light of day. And then shoot it and sterilise the corpse with the power of fire.

[yes I'm angry]

sebedina, drek, guinnesspuss and 4 others like this.
  2. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Vent as much as you like on here lan. It's what the forum is for isn't it.
    Support.

lanokia likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If only!

It's much more Johnny Ball than that.

[​IMG]

gr8jd, lanokia and snowyhead like this.
  4. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

Toxic profession, and will only get worse as we're the lot the Tory scum want to pick a fight with. In '84 it was miners, today it's us. Mainly because the public agree with the bull that we're lazy and overpaid.

I'm regularly writing to my local MP, unfortunately Tory scum, and won't stop until I either make a fresh start away from teaching or get a job offer abroad. No doubt I'm considered the local *******, and it's probably just a minion unpaid intern (albeit from a toff family) who's replying.

Nonetheless, as HM Opposition is now led my anti-Semitic, Marxist apologists for terror, we have to hold these ******** to account somehow.

lanokia likes this.
  5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Ianokia - I think you mean Culture of Fear.

Like many on here I am so glad to be getting out.

lanokia likes this.
  6. Compassman

I would like to add that the people I feel for are those who desperately want to get out of the job but cannot usually for financial reasons (paying mortgage etc)

lanokia likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

(((((((lanokia))))))))
    Jump the hoops. Keep looking for a new job. Find time to do nice things at home.

lanokia likes this.
  8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

'Controlled Assessment guidelines are breached daily, no piece of work is guaranteed to be the named pupils, instead the words might emanate from any number of sources'

For it to be 'true' controlled assessment it would have to be under exam conditions overseen by external moderators. The reality is students are often given a certain level of 'guidance.........'

.......and then the dust cleared. A glaring red giant sun cast a murky glow over the evil citadel. 'You have successfully been promoted to SLT.'

mark6243 and lanokia like this.
  9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Be the change.

gr8jd likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sadly for me [or maybe happily] my hoop jumping days are done... I stumbled in other peoples eyes one too many times and I'm out.

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

All very utopian DL but unless we all simultaneously do it.........

(This post will be deleted due to threat of revolution overthrowing the ruling elite and Illuminati.)

gr8jd, cissy3 and lanokia like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@Compassman

I think the culture of fear and the culture of secrecy dance down the footpath in the garden of shadows, hand in hand before drinking tea of bile together.

Compassman and TEA2111 like this.
  13. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@lanokia. Ever thought of writing as a career?

lanokia and TEA2111 like this.
  14. Compassman

Best of luck to you.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  15. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Same here.

16. drek

drek Star commenter

Could it be for the very reasons you mention Lanokia. that older teachers are being hounded out.
    They would recognise the real reasons for the changes to the policies, and demand answers to questions of an intellectual nature.
    The only way to silence them into quiet submission is to keep them looking over their shoulders in fear of losing their jobs.
    Are managers prepared to support teachers at a time when the curriculum content for all three stages at secondary is nearly doubling
    Heck no. The support we need is time. Don't fill my time by making me write 2 targets for each student. using two different 'systems' to cover all bases. They don't know which one will be in favour by the next inspection you see. It is after all far easier to double the workload of a teacher under contract to work whatever hours they deem 'reasonable'.
    Don't force me to share teaching ideas with someone who will already have been using them for years. These ideas are already in subject specific schemes of work. They are not 'new' strategies' because they have a new name!
    A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. And so would bulls ...
    My time would be more efficiently made use of if I could adapt my bank of resources to yet another new spec, which only came out in September and is still being changed as we speak. I have to do it at home after yet another meeting about nothing.
    All the agendas and mindless form filling are an agonising waste of time. You want books filled with green inked comments. Give me time ... Can we be left alone to bring in the changes please?
    And the resounding answer is... ?

17. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Totally agree with everything said about culture of secrecy.

It is truly horrible.

lanokia likes this.