1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The crisis caused by 'managerism'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Oct 14, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Interesting reading this story...

LINK

Seems to me that a class of public sector worker has arisen, the manager... I can think of examples in our local social services, in our education [obviously] and it seems the same in medicine. A class of person who doesn't contribute much but monitors the work of others. Yet the impact of these people is highly damaging.

The link talks about ... well I'm C+P a chunk to give you the gist.

So what are the doctors saying behind closed doors? They are saying that they have had enough. They are declaring that they will unify against the government and that they will fight. They are warning their children not to follow their career path, and considering their options very carefully also. Many have been tempted by warmer climates, or a career change all together. They are adamant that they will not back down, and that the government has picked the wrong group of professionals to attack. After arguably lying dormant for so long, the medical profession has finally erupted in defense of both their profession and their patients' future welfare. I am immensely proud of my colleagues; ultimately these are some of the most inspirational and gifted people I know. They are the 'good guys', and yet they are time and again the ones being vilified and devalued in the press at the moment. But if the new contract goes ahead, one day soon we may all wake up and ask where have all the good doctors gone? And the answer? They will either be abroad, bankers, or just totally burnt out.

And you can swap 'doctors' for 'teachers' and get something similar. I know there are those who deny this 'crisis'... or who even feel it is justified. Just makes me sad.

And before the those who identify as Tory get upset, I think the rot began under Blair. Just not seen the Tories change course. Indeed, they seem to be digging in for the long haul fight.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So depressingly familiar. Good on the health professionals if they do revolt but I see no evidence they're not as spineless as most teachers.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I was reading an article about this earlier - but it had the idea that "managerialism" was over and that we all aspired to "leadership" instead which was supposed to be more effective and allow workers to be autonomous, active and in control.

It made me laugh. All those SMTs becoming SLTs and thinking that solves the problem of micromanagement and target driven nonsense.

lizziescat and kibosh like this.
  4. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I believe this is a problem in the trades too.

Only anecdotal, but my neighbour resigned from his job as a builder within a large company because of micromanagement, 'appraisal' and so on'

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The rot set in under thatcher who started all this nonsense in the 80's/

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

My probation appraisal in the charity sector had sections entitled 'Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Requires Improvement'. My line manager admitted this was the first time she'd had to do one of these as the other workers had been TUPEd across from other organisations. Guess where she got the headings from?! Guess why, with 3 out of the 8 sections 'excellent', 1 'good' and the other 3 'satisfactory' she decided that overall my performance 'required improvement' ??? (Sure, after 3 months there are plenty of things I need to learn still, so I have no real problem with the concept that I am still learning but..... well, basically it pitched me back into that panic mode surrounding the micro-management that I thought I'd left behind me!)

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

'Managerialism'?

Pondering my thread title now...

Leadership? Ha don't make me puke!

Can't lead your own **** from an air-conned office...

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I only came across the term today and that was how the article termed it. Maybe there's a subtle difference?
    ;)

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I don't get the link with management from the article - the author seems mostly to decry government policy and media criticism, and doesn't mention management at all.

10. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I'm a bit surprised by this thread. We have had the rise of "managerialism" for decades, which is why social services, prisons, and probation are now just meaningless terms. There is no welfare state in any of these services any more delivered by professionals, just jam tarts from SERCO and the like. I suspect ditto in teaching and the NHS. This has been going on since the middle 80's, and has had mission creep ever since, but especially since 2007.

Had you not noticed that a bankrupt economy leads to a bankrupt society?

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

@colpee

Taking your point, I just was reading between the lines, a sort of overarching theme is all.

@felltogroundinberkeleysquare

Indeed I had noticed... but no-one seems to talk about it, just accept that it's inevitable. Personally I think there should be a fight back but I'm not in a position to lead it.

12. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

It's true, but I try to do it in a personal way, and I know of others who do too - the fighting back.

13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

NHS has had it for years - get rid of Matron and install a whole layer of middle management instead.