1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Crimson Petal and the White

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lardylegs, Apr 6, 2011.

1. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Now that this is being broadcast on BBC2, who has actually read the book? I'm about halfway through it, desperately trying to keep ahead of the BBC, but they rattled through about 200 pages tonight! Loved the casting, though....
    I am enjoying the book, but it is SO wordy, I find myself skim-reading the dull parts (about Mrs Fox)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, half way through it too, and also skimming or skipping bits . . . If I hadn't known that it was going to be on BBC I wouldn't have lasted through the early pages at all.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I read it a couple of years ago, really enjoyed it and do vaguely remember skipping parts.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've just finished reading this and I have to disagree with you about Mrs Fox being dull. In a lot of ways I find her the most sympathetic character, certainly the most modern in flouting the conventions of the day. I don't think this came across in the TV version.
    I also think Dr Curlew was portrayed as being quite sinister and abusive in the TV version, in the book he is just working in accordance with the medical knowledge of the day but, certainly, meant Agnes no harm.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Finished it but it was hard going. Some bits boring. Narrator bit annoying at times. Some bits distasteful. Not going to be a book that I shall reread. Different people have diffeent tastes.

6. I read it a few years ago and liked it - it was suggested in my book group but by the time we came to the meeting I was the only one in our group of ten who'd read it - the others found it too hard going or too yukky. I liked it enough to look for more books by the same author Michel Faber - and read Under the Skin - now that was an amazing (if very strange!) book. I recommend it - it's much less heavygoing than Crimson Petal, quite a slim volume, if memory serves!

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've also just read 'The apple' short stories about the same characters before or after The Crimson Petal. You don't exactly find out where Sugar and Sophie went at the end of the book but there's a chapter narrated by Sophie's son in his old age which tells us some of what happened later.

8. vickyrae1970

vickyrae1970 New commenter

i read both books and was pleased that in the apple we discovered what happened to some extent to sophie - would love to know what happened to sugar . love both books .