1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Cricket Thread.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, May 11, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most schools don't have a cricket square. Our school field is too small. We don't have an athletics track either which is even more pathetic.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mind you the field at the schhol I was a pupil at wasn't much better, being left handed you could easily get 4 on one side with a defensive shot.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It is very sad. You don't see street cricket. There is loads of public open space round here and I'm the only person I've seen with a cricket set.

Not quite the Ashes. Not with my grandson getting cross that he can't hit it and the dog running off with the ball. But we try.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

But kids all play it anywhere, its still coat and bags for goalposts in our street and local park and they are very interested in it. They don't play cricket at all and are not at all interested in it.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Perhaps that's it - you need the minimum of kit to play footie

We used to use old bricks for the wickets

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

England sometimes win at these sports because hardly any other countries play them. Only Seven or eight serious other nations at England's level really worldwide in both sports. 2 of the small number are other parts of the UK in Rugby Union, 3 if you include Northern Ireland making up the Irish team.
    Its surprising England don't win more often given the low world participation and competition.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

What kit? You only need a bat, a ball, some chalk and a wall.
    Rounders seems pretty popular with families, perhaps we should promote it more. You don't even need a wicket.

8. grumpydogwoman

Well, blow me down.

Was consulting local borough council website for things to do with grandchildren and found Street Cricket!!!!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You don't actually get many walls in parks burajda.

I have played cricket with a golf ball - not to be recommended, one of my customary leg glances went right through the kitchen window.

burajda and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

That's true, but its how we used to play with a chalked on wicket on the wall of the garages where we used to live. Maybe that's why rounders can be played easier.

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

A whole game of cricket, all over in 20 minutes. In his prime Boycott could have made as many as 3 runs in that time.

12. grumpydogwoman

Oh @burajda

He didn't score THAT quickly!

13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Does anyone remember French cricket? I used to teach the children how to play it in my PE lessons.

Shedman likes this.
  14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

These days you see the cricket boys around school lugging these hit kit bags on wheels that contain helmets, flannels, jumpers, caps, bats, pads, body padding, batting gloves and all the rest. Playing cricket at school in the 60s we played in our school trousers and the only protection we had was one pad which we wore on our facing leg.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I do indeed. Just the game to play when you didn't have enough for proper cricket. The only trouble was we got bored with it after about 10 minutes.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I saw Sir Geoff play many times and make a number of very fluent hundreds. One against Notts at Scarborough I particularly remember.

Anyone that witnessed Kieth Fletcher's monumentally boring innings at the Oval against Pakistan in 1974 would appreciate Geoff.

17. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder whether schools have become reluctant to teach cricket through it being deemed too dangerous. The other thing I wonder is whether the decline in interest occurred since the BBC lost the right to broadcast cricket?

The Kent village I lived in until last year had a cricket club. There was also a group who ran a team for a Sunday morning kids league. A friend of mine was part of it. He would sometimes comment how frustrating it was when kids didn't turn up some days and on others having too many.

I have to say that although the bog standard school I went to had a cricket square, football pitch, rugby pitch tennis/basketball court, the only one that was ever used during my time there was the football pitch. It was quite ridiculous. The cricket square was roped off and any kids who walked on it would get shouted at. Maybe they were hoping that one day they would get a PE teacher who knew how to play the game. The one we had was an ex-squaddie whose sole interest was in sending us off "cross-coutry" running round the streets of greater London or doing press ups etc. in the gym. He was pretty well universally loathed.

In contrast, we had an English teacher who was a cricket lover and who would occasionally have cricket themed lessons. It was from him I first learned some of the subtleties of cricket.

I remember him reading a short story, whose title and author escapes me, but it was about an England selector who when walking his dog, came across a guy bowling a cricket ball over a rope tied high between a couple of trees. When the selector asked what the bloke was up to, he explained he was practicing what he believed to be the unplayable delivery. A ball that would drop from the sky onto the stumps. It was pure fantasy of course, but I remember that teacher pausing from time to time during the story to explain a little about different bowling styles, draw diagrams on the blackboard to show how how the trajectory described in the story differed from the norm and a map of sorts of the field placings mentioned in the story.

Anyone who remembers this story and can tell me what it was called can expect my thanks. I vaguely remember it being written in the style of Sherlock Holmes novels, so possibly it was a Conan Doyle creation.

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Very true, especially when you were bowling and had to run around everywhere!

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I think you have hit the nail upon the head here, your Royal Dukeship. I grew up with BBC TV cricket coverage as the backdrop to my childhood, as my father was very keen. I only fell in love with the game later, through watching Abdul Qadir's wizardry.

One year, I happened to be the teacher of a class of primary aged children who were (mostly) cricket mad. The last Ashes test to be covered by terrestrial TV was a treat to watch at the end of a busy school day, and was a great tactic to ensure rapid tidying up after art lessons. The little angels could put the classroom to rights in seconds instead of the usual foot-dragging with the inducement of a surreptitious watch of the Ashes. We called the covert cricket sessions 'Geography and Weather Watching'. (It's Yorkshire today and it's looking overcast). Good times with good kids, a bit of fun at the end of the school year. I'd probably be locked up for it today.

delnon likes this.
  20. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

As I keep saying.... it is the way PE teachers are trained now. They do some sort of sport related degree. All too often they are "one trick ponies" in that they have one major sport interest; if you are lucky maybe 2. So...unless they were really well taught a variety of sports at their school - now becoming ever rarer - they don't have the breadth of knowledge or experience of a range of sports.

I did 3 years of day in day out sport/PE; all from the perspective of teaching it to children too (not necessarily furthering my personal ability - though that did naturally improve) The only sport I can in retrospect say we didn't really cover oddly enough was badminton. Other than that I feel I was competent and well prepared in a wide range of activities. I did of course continue with my own sport and I took additional qualifications in them - right up to Advanced teacher of swimming for the ASA and hockey coaching qualifications.

The summer activities of athletics and cricket for example are probably left even further behind on modern day PGCE as the students do no time on school practice in the summer term to speak of. Put all this with more demands made on PE teacher time and stuff like selling off of playing fields etc etc and it is no wonder team games are suffering.

Don't ignore the effects of video gaming etc is having on the activity levels of kids either. Out of school time now all too often is spent in bedrooms on gaming apparatus. Activities such as "cheerleading" *pause to shudder.... has affected the participation of girls in team games too.....

delnon likes this.