1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Cricket Thread.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, May 11, 2016.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have to say 'Sri Lankans' or you will be talking about the 'North of Ireland'.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Today's convincing victory has set things up nicely for the remaining tests, don't you think? It's amazing what can happen when the team knuckles down properly.

Shame to see Stokes get injured though. Who do you think should replace him in next week's test?

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

No. They should wear tubular coverings or long sleeves.

4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Fantastic play from Joe Root. Have I mentioned that Mrs J taught him in Y2? She saw him in Sainsburys recently and he stopped and said hello to her.

5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

What a nice boy he is.:)

Jesmond12 likes this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Go on then, spill the beans. Tell us he failed his SATS tests and was written off by the school as benefits material at that age. Does he know what a GCSE is? Did he ever need to?

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Since his secondary education was at the independent Worksop College, I doubt he was a duffer academically...

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I worry Ben Stokes isn't going to become the next Andrew Flintoff - brilliant, but permanently injured

I agree - bring back Ian Bell - Vince is a one day player

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I love Joe Root. So pleased to hear he's a nice lad.

Roooooooooot!

Vince? Nah.
    Hales? He's adapting. Slowly.
    Mo? Why are they not trying Rashid???? This is ridiculous. I watched him in the nets in Barbados in 2015. So he was kept on tour and couldn't play for Yorkshire. Didn't get a game! Ridiculous! "It's good for him to be around the Test side." Is he an infant? Play him or let him go.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Andrew Gale looked like he had a chance a couple of years ago but that seems to have gone now.

Not convinced about Ballance either

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Sorry to spoil the fun.
    I haven't seen any kids play cricket in the park or in the street for years.
    Are our future england cricketers all going to come from private schools or from abroad?
    As I remember Cricket was a game played by all social classes, but apart from Asians, young urban dwellers seem to have zero interest or participation in the sport.
    Its a sport now with no young broad base and only shown on pay to view with an ageing audience. The future is bleak for cricket.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I taught Max Holden (captain of the England under 19s) a few years ago.

But I take your point about non participation - at school we played footie in the footie season and cricket in the summer, we played every break and lunchtime (and after school on occasions) and games went on for days.

On holiday we would play cricket for hours in the evenings with whoever wanted a game.

I've never seen cricket played in our local park.

It's all down to SKY and the ECB and money - I can't afford/don't want SKY so I don't see any live cricket any more. If I want to keep in touch I listen to TMS or watch the highlights (I'm surprised even those are still on). Like Rugby League it's a game that has all but disappeared from the consciousness of most people. I don't even really miss it any more.

13. FrankWolley

I spent 7 weeks last winter (their summer) driving thousands of miles in Australia & New Zealand. I didn't see one game of cricket, organised or just within a family in a park, at all.

Yet both countries have strong national cricket teams...

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's all cricket academies now Frank

Even village cricket is dying

15. FrankWolley

I still see cricket in villages, among families and friends etc. when travelling round England. Didn't see that 'Down Under' - and that surprised me...

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I won't have SKY in the house so rely on TMS.

Yep, it's a sport for the privately educated now. Selling off playing-fields. Less PE on the curriculum.

And going to the matches? Test ticket prices are extortionate. It is dying.

rosievoice likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Football is still much more expensive

I'm a Chelsea fan but I go to lower league games simply because they are more affordable

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Mrs J remembers him as not being particularly gifted - he got his place at Worksop college on a cricket scholarship.

She does remember him being particularly good at ball games though.

19. FrankWolley

Seems reasonable!

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am by no means a cricket expert but I do scratch my head at how this game and rugby in particular have not become the games we focus on more - for the simple fact we win quite a bit at both!