1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Cricket Thread.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, May 11, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Close was aged 45.

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Thinking more about Leach, while understandable Stokes takes all the plaudits the more you watch his innings the more you can see he was as perfect as could be for the last player coming in.

He kept to the script of 5 balls for Stokes, 1 for him and under extreme pressure was taking care of his turn quite brilliantly.

His concentration throughout was outstanding, maybe apart from suddenly running faster than Usian Bolt to Stokes' wicket the only time it was clear Stokes was not going to run!

The other tail enders were going for glory and ....getting out.

I think Leach is getting the respect he deserves and yes, when you hear what he has come through then should we see him soon doing Specsaver ads, good on him.

3. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I'm not on Twitter so I have no idea as to what had been tweeted, but there was a story on the BBC website about him playing for a village match in North Petherton in Somerset , just after he was dropped from the team for the game at Edgbaston .
    I think that becoming a good player is as much to do with your attitude/ personality/ character as it is to do with talent and hard work .
    A fine example to all ages not just the youngsters of today.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

DF4580FE-6DB0-4361-A840-66587A80BBFC.jpeg

“He is the Special One and I intend to call him that for the rest of his career,” Botham told Telegraph Sport.

5. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Talksport today reporting Leach has been promised free glasses for life as a result of this game and partnership.

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

This sounds sooo right.:) I hope he gets a few quid as well.

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I used to pay cricket with a guy who looked like Brian Close and played like him (at our level of course) with back chat and such. He used to wear football shin pads under his whites and no pads. He would "pad" down balls bowled low enough not to hit his knee caps, much to the (I presumed) wonderment of the opposition.

8. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

I wonder who will play Leach in the movie that I hope they make? I nominate the dentist from "The Hangover".

9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Rick Moranis circa Little Shop of Horrors.

10. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Somerset 142 all out and 54 behind on first innings. Please don't tell me they are going to be pipped for the Championship title yet again?

11. MAGAorMIGA

Crispin Glover (George McFly ) in Back to the Future.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

13. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I thought it worthy to revive this thread as England have managed to bat through the first session of a match without losing a wicket. First time for almost a decade! (We've lost four since lunch though).

14. MAGAorMIGA

Really sad news about Jack Leach. Forced to return home. He's had sepsis, gastroenteritis and peritonitis. He already suffers from Crohn's Disease. Just as he looked a certainty to have a long and successful Test career, it could be that cruel fate has taken all that away. Get well soon, Jack. Very good luck for the future.

grumpydogwoman and CheeseMongler like this.
  15. MAGAorMIGA

One of the best cricket action shots I've seen: Ollie Pope:
    [​IMG]

16. urdupoint333

urdupoint333 New commenter

Woow, that is great shots . One of my favorite player

17. sportszillaorg

sportszillaorg New commenter

Not good news for cricket lovers.
    Sri Lanka 173-2 and apparently cruising towards, and then past England's 336. But Stokes and Rashid had an amazing spell after tea - went through them like a dose of salts, and England led by 96.

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I can see a picture of a man dressed in white. But where's the cricket shot? ;)

Mind you, he really gave that annoying wasp a good bashing!

peter12171 likes this.
  19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's certainly a fantastic photographic shot, but it reminds me of the spot the ball competition they used to have in the Sunday papers. Let's examine it again.

[​IMG]

The photo gives the impression that the batsman had to jump to avoid the ball. Surely if he'd clouted it, his arms and bat would be the other way round and the leg slip fielder would be looking at where the ball ended up, instead of whether he might have to do emergency rescussititaton on the batsman.

20. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

This result may have slipped under the radar:

USA: 35
    Nepal: 36-2! (Won with 268 balls remaining!!)

Worth noting that the USA team included Xavier Marshall, who has played Test cricket for the West Indies, Ian Holland, who plays for Hampshire, Aaron Jones, who has played for Barbados, Timal Patel who has played 1st class cricket in India, Cameron Stevenson who has played for Tasmania & Rusty Theron who has represented South Africa in One Day Internationals. So not a team of amateurs!

Guess this won't get much publicity in the States!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-mens-cricket-world-cup-league-2-2019-2021-22