1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The creative Learning Journey

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hlhendo, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Hello...

I have been researching into this and would love to have a go at using all the plans and stuff...
    i teach year 1 and already teach a topic based approach, but would love to have the pack to have a go and have a look at al the stuff...

Only problem is my school won't be buyingin into it just yet and i would love to start using it all by septemeber... Does anyone know how much it woukd cost to buy the creative learning journey for year 1, as id love to invest in a copy...

Regards x

2. Hello...

I have been researching into this and would love to have a go at using all the plans and stuff...
    i teach year 1 and already teach a topic based approach, but would love to have the pack to have a go and have a look at al the stuff...

Only problem is my school won't be buyingin into it just yet and i would love to start using it all by septemeber... Does anyone know how much it woukd cost to buy the creative learning journey for year 1, as id love to invest in a copy...

Regards x

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I may be wrong as it is some time since we priced it but I don't think it is available to single classes.

4. Personally I don't think there is much point in buying the plans. I have taught year 1 in a CLJ school and we didn't use the preprinted plans. For a start they suggest QCA units in some of the wheels which pretty much goes against the whole idea of it anyway.
    The only 'important' part is the skills. At the start of a term we choose all the activities we can think of/want to do for a topic and then check where each skill can fit in.

5. Add to that, it also needs to be a whole school approach rather than an individual.

6. The pre printed wheels that come with the packs are only for guidelines (to hold your hand and get you going) the refrenece to the QCA are only for refrence for resources (don't throw the baby out with the bath water !) The main stay to the planning and the cross circicular approach is the online wheels where you can choose the activities and resources and all the skills you want to teach. Also they have a new resources sections where you can choose resources also you can share topic wheels with other schools all over the country 1000's to choose from and use parts of other schools wheels in your own. make as many as you like. Also lots of blank and completed plans available on the website - if you log in. The skills assessment pack is also good with graphs and print outs etc. Understand they are also now developing live online
    planning for whole school year overviews and weekly plans and drag and drop plans etc. They just launched the new SEN packs with all the P scales and 0-5 skills etc.
    Look at the website

7. Hello all,
    I have been researching about the Creative Learning Journey and i am wandering if there are any negatives to the innitiative and its impact on education in teaching and learning. One area that maybe a negative is the price - is it available by the council free for any schools? Can anyone help me to try find an argument / negative to the innitiative.
    Also is CLJ similar to creative partnership as that seems alot bigger - matbe just been around longer than CLJ.
    Hope anyone can help xx

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

*shudder*
    Doesn't buying in creativity rather negate the creativity?

9. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

*** is a "creative learning journey" anyway? Who thinks up all this nonsense, and, even more importantly, who pays them to do so?

10. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

We are in our second year of using CLJ and i think we bought it in as a key stage, not for single year groups so this runs into hundreds.
    You don't have plans ready done for you but it provides all of the NC objectives in a handy wheel format which forms your medium term plan and you can access the skills in the year before and the year after.
    It really is only as good as the teacher doing the planning though. if you're a creative person its great as the world is basically your lobster. we have done themes on dinosaurs, pirates, beatrix potter and more and are currently doing space. everything we do is linked to the topic. We work out what skills we want to cover during that term and just go for it! there are some qca units which have linked nicely and lend ideas but its so nice not to be tied to them. Our standards are going up, the kids are enthused, teachers enjoy planning but I'm sure its possible to do the same thing without buying in clj.
    hope this helps!

11. swish1

swish1 New commenter

We use the less well known Dimensions Creative Curriculum. It facilitates creativity within a framework and gives much more ownership for us and our pupils so we really feel like the curriculum is our own. They have also published some music, dance and drama resources to help put the creative subjects at the heart of the curriculum instead of as add-ons. The websites for anyone interested are www.dimensionscurriculum.co.uk and www.bubbleseducation.co.uk

12. Just look at the homepage. It seems as though they have the whole primary curriculum planned under EYFS areas. Then it says it "Now links all the skills directly and automatically to the National Curriculum - one click coverage" (***?) It has the usual meaningless phrases, "topic wheel", "creative curriculum", etc. All the buzzwords are in the FAQs. The usual meaningless garbage from a gullible headteacher. I particularly do not like the use of the (defunct) DCSF and Every Child Matters logos that imply some sort of government approval. Of course there is never any mention of the price of these things on the website, just a salesman request form.

13. Yeah that's what they say on their website too. It seems to be a good way of getting a lot of the taxpayers' money from dimwitted headteachers for very little in return. Why not just "develop and try out your own ideas, using contextual knowledge and their own professional judgement.... make what is taught your own. and become more autonomous in the area of curriculum development and provision. " and not pay these people any money?

There has been far too much money pumped into education with too little accountability.

14. There is also a product called the B.C.P. produced by Ros Wilson- Andrell Education. This has lots of really interesting topics (such as castles) and the key skills are really obvious- linking in literacy as well! It covers everything in a really exciting way- although it does need to be adopted at whole school level.

15. Does anybody know when the creative learning journey was first launched?

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

cor you dug deep to find this old thread lol