1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Creation Story

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Feb 19, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I have just added a resource to the folder about the King James Bible Old Testament. This is two mp3's taken from the Radio 4 episode called CREATION. The 'Mother Ship' is the whole episode with all the talk and introduction - but the two files I have just added are simply the readings - first The Creation Story (seven days) and second The Creation Story (Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve and Good and Evil.

The first of these may be useful to those of you who are exploring the Christian Creation Story. It is read beautifully which brings out the poetry of the language - and the way it is certainly from a genre totally unlike anything you find today - or in science. Pure Oral Tradition.

2. durgamata

The Story of Science: Power, Proof and Passion

Did any of you manage to record this? It is really great. I think it goes on for an hour and a lot is not relevant to the Creation Story and Big Bang - but the last part covers the great telescope in America and the way Hubble worked there taking photos over many years and revealing so much new about the universe. It introduces in a very short but beautiful sequence of images - how the Big Bang theory came about and what the evidence is for it.

As part of the conclusion they quote something that Newton said

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me."

If we can communicate this to our students I think it will be a great achievement. We have learned much as a species, but there is infinitely more yet to learn. Just as Theology had to accept the findings of science, I think the next great break-though will come when science begins to recognise that there is much more to life than the physical world. Then it will have to sit at the feat of spirituality and learn from that teacher. They go together. One without the insights of the other is blind.

If you look at the website on this science series you will read -

For thousands of years we have wrestled with the great questions of existence. Who are we? What is the world made of? How did we get here? The quest to answer these is the story of science.

Each week, medical journalist Michael Mosley traces the often unpredictable path we have taken. From recreating a famous alchemist?s experiment, to following in Galileo?s footsteps, and putting himself in the hands of a hypnotist, Michael unpicks how science has changed the way we see ourselves, and the way we see our world.

It is a tale of courage and of fear, of hope and disaster, of persistence and success. It interweaves great forces of history ? revolutions, voyages of discovery and artistic movements ? with practical, ingenious inventions and the dogged determination of experimenters and scientists.

This is the story of how history made science and how science made history, and how the ideas which emerged made the modern world.

1. What Is Out There? How we came to understand our planet was not at the center of everything in the cosmos.

My son was playing this using BBC Iplayer but it is only available for a short time longer, so do try to record it now. It may be available as a DVD but I will stop this now as my son is going to try to record it onto my hard drive and then I can cut DVD's and send them if you want one.

3. durgamata

I've uploaded some info on this programme and some of Newton's quotes.