1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Cox Report - anyone know where to find an online copy...?

Discussion in 'English' started by Malu, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Help - I need a copy of "English for Ages 5 - 16" (The Cox Report) - published 1989, and I can't find a copy online anywhere...
    Has anyone come across one?
    Thanks so much (hopefully)...

2. Help - I need a copy of "English for Ages 5 - 16" (The Cox Report) - published 1989, and I can't find a copy online anywhere...
    Has anyone come across one?
    Thanks so much (hopefully)...

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Much to my shame, I've never heard of it!

4. Was meant to read it before I started my PGCE. Got as far as sniggering at the title, then sniggering even more at his follow-up work, being Cox on Cox.
    That's as far as any self-respecting English teacher should ever get.

5. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

The Cox Report marks a real achievement in bringing genuine intelligence to bear on the questions of how a standard language should be taught. While stressing the importance of the teaching of the standard, the Cox Report also emphasised the importance of valuing non-standard forms of the language and allowing pupils to explore their own linguistic resources.
    These sophisticated and humane recommendations, which also included Cox's long-time commitment to the teaching of creative writing, did not suit a Conservative government that had a fixation on teaching traditional grammar. In an extraordinary move, Kenneth Baker, Secretary of State for Education, who had commissioned the report, decided that the three final chapters of recommendations would be published ahead of the 14 chapters that elaborated the complex arguments the committee had considered.
    The Cox Report is a high-water mark in the attempt to reform the traditional teaching of English in the light of current linguistic knowledge. The Government, however, had no interest in its recommendations and refused to provide the money for the provision of necessary teaching materials.
    - from his obituary in The Independent.

6. Openlibrary.org can help you track them down. If this blasted site would allow me to copy/paste URLs I could have included it here. Soz.

7. Try Amazon - I bought a copy for less than £3 delivered :)