1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The cost of finding supply work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by albertdog, Feb 12, 2011.

1. It seems that even being out of work is very expensive. I have just been totting up the cost of signing on with agencies, and the found the conclusion quite staggering. Each agency wants a CRB, so , for me, since last year, that works out at over £680.
    Just recently, as I thought I would never get any work, the telphone has started to ring in the morning. However, I am told that the school will require me to take with me two pieces of photo ID, a CV and a CRB less than 3 months old; and all this for CS job, too.

2. Now if all qualified and registered supply teachers were employed by the LEA...[​IMG]?
    Read, post and vote on the 38 DEGREES website to get the issue of using unqualified people as cover "teachers" out in the public domain:
    http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1424291-the-use-of-unqualified-staff-as-cover-teachers-i?ref=title

3. I do sympathise - but why take a punt on loads of agencies, at £30+ per CRB, with no cast-iron guarantee of work? It's such a blatant con! I've got other things to spend my money on. So, I prefer to work directly for a school as a CS (I'm a teacher, but hey 'If you can't beat them...') in the frequent absence of supply work.
    Oh, and I recently managed to find an agency that was OK with a previous CRB so long as it was less than 12 months old - how rare is that?

4. I have tried aspproaching schools directly. I have mail-shotted every secondary and SEN school within twenty miles of me, so that is half of London nearly. Only two replied, and those were negative.