1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Coronavirus impact thread

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by norwichred, Mar 10, 2020.

1. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Indeed it would and hopefully schools will quickly work that out over the next few days. The poster I was replying to tried to infer that she was going to be working in school full time and losing Easter break which is complete nonsense. It's nuts that my wife is even in her school as we have returned from China and are living with my mother in law who is in her 70s.

2. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

"living with my mother in law"

Crikey. This virus is serious then?

Some reports suggest an attempt to return to normal has begun in parts of China, now they are over the worst of what the Chinese press have started to call the 'foreigner virus'.

I hope everyone's bags are packed ready for the flight back, assuming you have a job to go to. It strikes me as a little premature what they're doing?

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Wuhan-returns-to-normal.-Epidemic-'imported'-from-Italy-49627.html

Alice K likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

The situation is rapidly improving in Shanghai with a level of normality returning to the city. Still a long way to go to the city returning to 2019 levels of activity, cinema and large sports events still closed. But restaurants, hotels, bars, McDonald's and Starbucks open to the public.

Still having to have your temperature checked when you enter buildings or compounds and we all still wear masks in public.

Local government is getting ready to reopen the city in a couple of weeks, as we are receiving signals that high schools/universities/colleges should be prepared to open, not to actually open but be in a position to open when told it is safe to do do.

Anyone returning to Shanghai from abroad is getting compulsory quarantine at a centre or if you are classified as low risk you can stay in you own home. No new cases of C19 in Shanghai for 2 weeks, only arrivals at the airport from returning Chinese who have been in Italy and UK. Apparently a large number of Chinese workers in Italy making leather shoes and handbags.

Still thousands of teaching vacancies in China within the Bilingual sector of the industry that look acceptable in the current world chaos.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, this is more or less what I have heard from friends in Shenzhen. No, everything has not returned to normal yet and the Chinese authorities are determined that there will not be a second wave of infections.

5. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

China is definitely ahead of us all, but let's wait until a vaccine is approved before we all start rejoicing in the pubs and clubs again. ;) I think world governments will be in favour of such a move forward, despite "no new infections on the ground".

Alice K likes this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

China has just announced a dramatic reduction in flights into and out of the country. Basically each airline can fly one flight a week into and out of China.

Foreigners with visa will be stopped entering China until further notice.

7. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

Yep, god knows when we’ll be able to get back now then. Online teaching to continue for the foreseeable future it seems o_O

8. Luvsskiing

So, you're being paid 100% of your salary to sit in the garden in warm, sunny England, sip gin and tonics, go for a jog in the afternoon, write the odd worksheet and have the odd Facebook chat with a student before a spot of cooking and telly? And for reasons beyond your control, you can't get back for at least another few months most likely to do a knackering job with lots of catch-up sessions and maybe cancelled holidays?

As long as you're not living with the in-laws, it sounds absolutely brilliant to me . Enjoy it and milk it. It'll probably never happen again in our lifetimes.

TeacherMan19 likes this.
  9. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

Sounds like good advice!

10. RoadToRags

RoadToRags New commenter

I do wonder if this poster on the teachers board is a teacher. I have plenty of colleagues in the US and the UK working doing online lessons from abroad, and though their experiences vary dramatically depending on what they are teaching. If they are teaching an academic subject in middle or high school, they are getting WORKED. I do long days of planning, replying, marking etc, and this does not change for those who are not in country. This just get the stress of working odd times instead.

There are some good things about not being in school, such as less wasted time on meetings, duties etc, but a holiday this is not.

Frankly, if anyone is swanning around and posting the odd worksheet, then putting their feet up, why would they get paid? This is especially true when they stayed abroad while others are currently going through the arduous process or coming back and being quarantined in China, so they are ready again for school to start, perhaps in the next month.

I bit, so I hope I am not just being baited by a troll.

11. BlueHues

BlueHues New commenter

Comments like +Luvsskiing are not helpful for a profession that is always under fire for being lazy and work shy, I’m working harder than before and having to keep pace with pastoral and academic matters long after school has ended. Lesson prep and planning plus live streaming is not as easy as if in the comfort zone of a closed classroom.

There are real fears for our jobs and how / when schools reopen what other issues lie just out of view. How many parents will keep paying for school when they’re homeschooled even virtually, what happens when staff want to return home because a loved one has died and there are no flights, no visas being issued for next year’s new job and you don’t have one to go to because you resigned... so many real issues that do not warrant trivial comments.

China may well be opening back up for business but no one knows what is in store in the next 3-6 months. So please be kind and less thoughtless with comments.

Triggered? Yes, I am. I’m already seeing friends and colleagues hurting because of this.

12. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

When I first saw your username I thought you were from Sweden or Norway. Then I worked it out.
    Hats off to you for triggering the thin skinned on the boards.
    In my experience it's those who can't take a joke about teachers being lazy, who are the laziest of the lazy teachers. They're almost as bad as the boorish grammar stasi.

Alice K and Luvsskiing like this.
  13. Luvsskiing

Indeed. If there is a time to be stoic and maintain a resigned sense of humour, now is it.

Alice K and normannobody2018 like this.
  14. normannobody2018

In times of crisis we need to think positive and take opportunities where we can.
    Anyone interested in collaborating on a true worldwide international school, taught online to anyone anywhere through the internet using MS Teams??
    Imagine the same lessons taught online to the slums of India, the millionaires of Beijing and whining yanks. Anywhere where there's a laptop and an internet connection.
    The workload would be in assessment, whereas prep and delivery would be simple for a mass scale.
    I can talk to people I know in Microsoft Education (If I can find their contact details again) and Cambridge to help out, if there were enough teachers willing to support this initiative.

15. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 New commenter

Sure, send me a PM

normannobody2018 likes this.
  16. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

The pandemic is in the middle of its beginning, another year at least with lesser waves after that annually I expect.

The PRC government, a Communist dictatorship, with a sense of humour using its Skynet surveillance system (170 million CCTVs linked to face recognition and all social media monitored) controls all the press and uses its "50 cents army" to create social media propaganda. So anyone believing anything about the situation in the PRC needs to have some scepticism at least.

What we do know about the PRC for the first time mobile numbers shrunk. By 21 million in January and February (more in February). A sign of a serious economic collapse, accounts being closed for "propaganda spreading" or millions dead of SARS-Cov-2 we will never really know. Some dissidents claim a million plus have died.

But no way is the PRC clear of SARS-Cov-2 and I suspect a trade war will result due to anti Chinese sentiment. A new cold war. This pandemic is here to stay. International travel restrictions are bound to stay for months if not a year. Airlines will go bust and state ownership will save the flag carriers but that means probably the end of the era of cheap airflights for a decade, and a depression is looming- a shadow of 2008 financial crisis that was never really solved.

This means less international schools and teachers. I fully expect to be stuck for a year and unable to travel until July 2021. Also I expect to eventually get SARS-Cov-2 as most people will eventually, but hopefully when hospitals are not overflowing. A vaccine is 2 years away at least, and note vaccine trials for its cousin SARS-Cov-1 went very badly. No vaccine worked well ones that left the lab animals alive that is - antibodies were created but they all died horribly after reinfection. So a vaccine may not be possible.

The new reality will only slowly sink in to some, the adjustment reaction in some people is slow.

17. normannobody2018

Great to hear you taking a positive line, Nemo.
    Email me. Where are you now?

18. fatmaster

fatmaster New commenter

19. 663929

663929 New commenter

So to anyone that has gained a teaching position in Asia this year, are you still planning to make the move?

I was planning to move to Thailand in July. Seems like the responsible thing to do would be to not go :( I was very much looking forward to it so am hoping the director will hold my position until next year. Anyone had any luck/experiences with this?

20. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't think it's possibly for over a million people to have died in China. I'm SURE it's higher than they are claiming but one million would be 1% of the entire population (meaning statistically, about 75%+ would have contracted it. )It would be extremely noticeable to everyone there and surely at least some of the millions of expats out there would have reported on bodies lining the streets and hospitals overflowing with dead.

I have a few friends in major cities and they've reported a sense of returning normality. It wouldn't be possible for a million dead to be hidden from them. Italy has less than 20,000 and it's chaos (with less than 0.03% of the population dead)