1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Coronavirus impact thread

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by norwichred, Mar 10, 2020.

1. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

@migratingbird unfortunately the link seems to be private...leastways I get a message saying I can’t access it, or it doesn’t exist.

Does anyone have a list of edu companies offering free services as it would be very useful?

Cheers

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Hmmm I got it from a friends post on facebook so it should be public? I also have a padlet link - https://padlet.com/KZiemke/FreeDL?f...pMbcZW8j8sGwKHwxqP3FB5PbmFj11O9HLfBAGZJ6h8ft8 but it's not as expansive as the Google Sheet.

3. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

On Kuwait

"the shopping malls are still open so literally the only place we can take our kids now is the mall. Yes it would be healthier at the beach or park, particularly as no-one is around - but nope thats not allowed."

I worked in many schools and places in my long engineering and teaching career. I often reflect back during the past 40 years and without doubt, the country I've worked in with the stupidest successive Governments and the one least able to think even the simplest task through, the one unable to make a sensible plan for absolutely anything in either the short, medium or long term was without doubt Kuwait.

Generally lazy and incompetent at school, pupils then move usually into a Government job with 100 of their very own Indians to manage, followed by a clueless and incompetent career of eating, Government grants for everything they do in life, corruption and racism.

They really do live the most pointless life on the planet.

Alice K, towncryer and abikuwait like this.
  4. lostintheworld

lostintheworld New commenter

This is a generally true for all Gulf Arabs, and I totally agree with the poster....Having also lived and worked in 3 Arab countries I also feel the same.

Alice K likes this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

They would never close the malls unless the locals would need to step over rotting corpses.

6. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

rouxx likes this.
  7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Thanks...sorry, didn't get back to you. I must have been trying the link as they were migrating it over ti their website, as when I tried later it redirected me to their website

8. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

This racism and disrespect is appalling. No one with such opinions should be allowed to teach, and especially not the children they hate so much.

Luvsskiing and TusitalaH like this.
  9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Here in Sunny Southern Europe we are about to enter our second week of 'home learning'.

Everything is closed here apart from supermarkets and cafes which do not have seating. Only 5 people at a time are allowed in smaller shops.

I'm starting to go a little stir crazy already. And I would be very surprised if any of us are back in before September

10. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Gulfgolf I totally agree. I’ve kind of given up defending Kuwait now. But it doesn’t deserve the hammering it gets and neither does anywhere.

Yes they moved quickly and it caused chaos. Yes I didn’t agree with closing the beaches and keeping the malls open but now they’ve closed all the malls too so it’s literally just supermarkets open.

Name me one more country that’s been more proactive than Kuwait in the world? That’s managed to shut down it’s country so effectively and so quickly.

Yes I know there’s reasons why they can move so quickly. But it’s effective. Whilst Britain dithers and people loot the supermarket shelves we are getting text messages multiple times a day and videos sent to our phones showing us that the flour mills are still in production, that imports are still coming in, that there are plenty of supplies.

The result? After that crazy first night everything is now normal.

I do have a question. It’s not necessarily for here, but if anyone has any opinion I’d be pleased to hear it.

What happens when a country like Kuwait goes to zero cases again. It reopens - surely the disease is just as likely to reappear. I am not sure what the end goal is. What the aim is and what will tell them it’s ok to reopen schools and the country again.......

With Ramadan in just over a month and the closure until 29th March I am not convinced we will reopen again this year......

sazad99 likes this.
  11. BlueHues

BlueHues New commenter

I don’t see any schools reopening... not this year.

12. sazad99

sazad99 New commenter

I'm assuming that in the scenario of all cases closed then business can run as normal without risks except flights, until the 'rest of the world' sorts itself out.

13. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Supposed to be moving to Dubai in August...

14. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

No football.

Close thread.

15. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

First day of remote teaching for my wife and I, while simultaneously home schooling the kids. I've pre-recorded videos for those classes that I can (especially if my wife is teaching at the same time), so I can supervise the children... though we've also drafted in big sis to teach little brother at a few pinch points. It'll either be super cute or a powder keg that ignites in seconds!

Can't wait to mute some students on Google Hangouts though

towncryer likes this.
  16. sully007

sully007 New commenter

Schools in Malaysia have been ordered to close by Wednesday 18th March. Online teaching should be interesting.

17. february31st

february31st Established commenter

From March 17th, Shanghai will adjust the list of key countries in prevention and control measures, the detailed information is as follows:
    1. Add UK, Switzerland, Sweden, Belgium, Norway, the Netherlands, Denmark and Austria
    as key countries in prevention and control, in addition to South Korea, Japan,
    Iran, Italy, France, Spain, Germany and US. All people stayed or visited the
    above-mentioned 16 countries within 14 days before arriving in Shanghai, must
    have home based or centralized quarantine for 14 days.
    2. Shanghai will implement stricter general administration and control over those key
    countries, will not list any other key areas for prevention and control.
    3. Business travellers from those key countries to Shanghai for short visit ( less than
    seven days), have clear purpose and destination will be sent to temporary
    centralized quarantine places by designated car for nucleic acid test. If the
    test is negative, could be sent to designated hotel and could have normal
    business activities, but need to have daily temperature checks and other kinds
    of health monitoring measures.

If you don't have your own appartment to self quarantine you will be sent to a registered place of confinement and by charged 1000GBP for your quarantine. Unfortunately if someone on the flight is suspected of having the C19 virus the whole plane will be compulsory quarantined at their own cost.

18. eburor

eburor New commenter

My city is doing the same. I have a return flight booked but intend to cancel due to the risk of being put in to centralized quarantine. What are others doing regarding returning?

19. TusitalaH

TusitalaH New commenter

Our school has changed its advice and said we shouldn’t return yet, due to the new quarantine rules in Beijing (everyone arriving internationally must be quarantined at designated government ‘hotel’).

20. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Just found out that emirates are cancelling and refunding UK bound flights from as far ahead as May 5th from my SE Asian home.

Not sure if that is policy, streamlining schedules or whether it was simply an underbooked flight.