1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Coronavirus impact thread

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by norwichred, Mar 10, 2020.

1. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

This may be presumptuous arrogance on my part but as we have various disparate threads about the effect of Coronavirus on the Middle East, Madrid, contracts etc etc - It might be good to put everything together in one thread.

Please ignore if you’d prefer.....

We could post facts, stories, support colleagues in bad situations (it looks like I may be one) etc etc......

Hopefully it might be useful......

2. norwichred

Anyway - here is Kuwait we have just entered the second week of school closures......

It’s become quite a bit of a lockdown. All the cinemas have been closed, the theatres and even public events outside in parks etc have been closed down.

There are new border restrictions every couple of hours, it would appear, and a lot of confusion engendered.

Not an easy situation to be in.

As for school we have to set work daily on the system for students to do and other than that it’s still a developing situation.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Here in Shanghai the biggest impact will be the number of expats families returning to the city. Shanghai is not a popular destination for many foreign workers and the financial package for some has to be unlimited to afford a comfortable lifestyle. An expense account the allows 10GBP/pint beer, 15GBP/GLASS Wine, 12000GBP/month rent and 45000GBP/child tuition fees and health insurance that pays 200GBP just to see a Doctor if you have a cold.

The number of Halfpats will increase as single, younger, cheaper foreign workers replace the older,expensive, married with children types.

The bottom has just fallen out of the international schools market in China. If you are employed by a large multinational education business type school I would update your CV.

4. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Here in South Korea, glorious blue skies due to Chinese and some Korean factory closures. Great air quality and a mild temperature.

Luvsskiing likes this.
  5. janavis467

janavis467 New commenter

One thing which has struck me (as my country closes its schools and issues strong advice to its population to take all possible measures to avoid the spread) is the seemingly arrogant attitude of the british - at least in terms of school management. Ignoring the pleas of their host country, insisting staff attend school on days of official closure, despite the risks that entails, and justifying it on the basis that the other british school down the road is also requiring its staff attend.

With recommendations around the world pushing for home working wherever possible, the managers of these schools still think their own requirements are more important.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

For many teachers around the world, the Coronavirus means a crash course in e-learning. So far, I have to say that there are a lot of practical issues that make Internet-based lessons just a little bit difficult. For example, I have asked my students to send me their work as Google documents and instead I have had photos of their exercise books, PDFs, MS Word docs etc. Ho hum. And Google Classroom does not seem to work with audio files. Argh!

Zoom seems to be better and my colleagues are excited about being able to mute the students' audio when they all start talking at once. They also say that the students'cats and dogs like appearing on Zoom!

agbak likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

oh boy...old people and technology ;)

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 7.41.20 AM.png

8. norwichred

We’re sending work as attachments via email and it’s all voluntary so some teachers are getting work back whilst others are not getting any at all. Still has to be set every day - it can get quite dispiriting when you receive nothing back but to be fair setting a day’s work is not that time consuming so it does leave more time for the beach....

Visit and e-visas have been stopped in Kuwait meaning anyone who wants to come and visit (or anyone on a tourist visa who may be working here *cough*) now will have to leave the country and visit an embassy to get another tourist visa to return. I’m not sure exactly what difference this is going to make to be honest - either stop the issuing of visa or don’t. It will make things more difficult for those already here on the tourist visa who want to stay.

There are stories that people who are here on tourist visas will have theirs renewed for two months for free but I haven’t had that officially confirmed yet.

9. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

People confined to home (or spending most of their time there): what are you doing beyond your working hours to keep yourself from going crazy? How do you separate home from work?

suem75 likes this.
  10. Radian43

Radian43 New commenter

You keep stating this in every thread in this forum, but it doesn't make it correct.

Covid19 has no effect on the price of a pint or rent. If people thought Shanghai was a good option with the package that they had before then there is no reason to change that opinion as the economics of living there remain the same. Secondly, companies that send or request employees work in Shanghai (or any other Chinese city) are not going to suddenly pack up their operations and leave the city.

suem75 likes this.
  11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Foriegn Multinational companies in China don't own the factories that make their products as it was against the law for them to do so until recently. All the products have to be made in Chinese owned factories where the Western companies give the design's and technological resources to build the finished products. This is where the issue of IP transfers comes from. This is the joint ventures you may hear about in the news if you bother to read past the cartoon section.

So since the Foreign Multinational doesn't own the factories in China there is nothing to stop them moving to Vietnam, Cambodia or Myanmar. This also has the benefits of avoiding the trade tariffs set of Chinese Imports to the USA by the Trump administration.

This is what American companies complain about, they can not build their own factories, employ Chinese workers directly and have to share their secrets with a Chinese company giving away all their IP as part of the deal.

This process of manufacturing jobs moving to other Asian countries has been underway for the last 4 or five years, check the labels in your training shoes for details.

In Shanghai foreign employment visas have been reducing by 15000 per year or about 3 to 5%. The only expats that seem to be remaining are the self employed businesses people who don't have deep pockets to pay 45000GBO tuition fees in rent-a-name schools. This maybe why there is a sudden explosion in Bilingual schools we see opening up all over China.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  12. TinyTeacher92

TinyTeacher92 New commenter

This is the latest from Kuwait. I cannot believe they're demanding people gather together in this way.

Attached Files:

13. norwichred

My post disappeared weird.....

I just came in to post this.

Up to now Kuwait seems to have handled the situation really well - taking action that may seem draconian to some but seems to have been pretty successful at controlling the spread so far.

But this? Gathering hundreds of thousands, possibly millions together in one place over consecutive days? Any one of whom could have it?

And what if one person on one day tests positive. What are they going to do with everyone else?

I can only see this being cancelled.

TinyTeacher92 likes this.
  14. fatmaster

fatmaster New commenter

Kiev introduces anti-epidemic measures and restrictions (video)
    From March 12, a plan of anti-epidemic measures and restrictions will be introduced in the capital, which will be in force before the end of March.This was stated in a video message by the mayor of Kiev Vitali Klitschko, reports FaceNews.ua . https://www.facenews.ua/news/2020/475110/

15. fatmaster

fatmaster New commenter

In Ukraine, quarantined through coronavirus has been shielded
    In Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers has been quarantined with the help of the coronavirus at night. About the price of the people's deputy Viktor Syumar on Facebook.

Vaughn meant that from 12 birch trees in three households, up to 3 quarters, quarantine should be introduced in Ukraine.
    https://nnovosti.info/news/v_ukraji..._koronavirus_scho_ne_mozhna_robiti-46537.html

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

What happens if there are only 11 birch trees in four households?

17. norwichred

Woah. So things went interesting very fast here in Kuwait.

All commercial flights in and out stopped from Friday midnight (unless you are Kuwaiti or Kuwaiti relative).
    Public holiday declared for two weeks.
    All malls shut down
    Shut down all restaurants
    Shut down gyms
    Shut down all public and private sector (including oil) for two weeks.

Yet some private schools are still asking staff to sign in lol......

Waiting for the massive exodus to get flights out in next 24 hours :D

18. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

Frankly, I think schools which insist on having staff on during emergency measures like those deserve to have their teachers flee the country. What are they thinking?

DocShew likes this.
  19. abikuwait

abikuwait New commenter

Massive spike in corona cases in Qatar today! It’s gone from 24 to 262!!! Schools were closed on Monday afternoon, very suddenly despite on Monday being told they would not be closing.
    Staff in, in some schools still.

We all have April hols booked (for 2 weeks) from 2 April! It’s looking less and less likely that we’ll be able to travel. I can see Qatar following Kuwait in terms of a total lockdown!

Things are indeed grim!

20. norwichred

It’s the apocalypse out there right now.......:(

Just went to get cash out as it would seem the only way to get food over next two weeks will be home delivery. If you’re lucky......

Rumours that a curfew will be announced around 10pm tonight meaning no-one can leave their houses / flats for two weeks. If that’s true, we’re stuck in a tiny two bedroom company provided accomadation with a three and a two year old so praying that doesn’t come true......

Bad times....

Still remember the conversations I was having with my wife this time last year. Honey - it will be fine. What’s the worst that can happen? A bit of culture shock? It will be a great life, the stresses will be less, a carefree life lol.

She hasn’t yet rammed those words up my rear end but she looks like she wants to.......:D

TusitalaH, lottee1000 and colacao17 like this.