1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Conservative leadership contest. What a shower!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 11, 2019.

1. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

As i said on the other thread, he may just be their sacrificial lamb on the altar of Brexit. Short-termism. They'll be keeping their serious candidates for PMship or leader of the Tories (if they are no longer in power by then) for the future.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Are they actually going to be contradicted about their lies? Or is the BBC just going to let them spout more lies as they have been doing since this comedy show (which isn't funny) started?

CraigCarterSmith and emerald52 like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Worrying...that these people are choosing out PM. What price democracy?

[​IMG]

JL48 and chelsea2 like this.
  4. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

Its not libel if it's true.

5. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

21st Century journalism.

6. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

1. Apologies for the brevity of this reply. I am ludicrously busy at present.

2. The author of that piece (and the book) is not unsympathetic to her subject matter, apparently. Sensitively written ethnographies are meant to be like that and I think I read somewhere that hers passed the test.

3. Someone should do a serious study of Devoto and Magazine. There is a book but it didn't look all that good to me.

4. Thanks for the Bacon link. I actually haven't read Peppiatt's formal biography of him yet, either. The movie 'Love is the Devil' is worth a look too if you haven't seen it. Derek Jacobi and Daniel Craig are both excellent (and Craig is also worth checking out in 'Our Friends In The North' if you never caught that series). Plus, the guy who portrays John Deakin is good too.

7. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

I agree but lots of other people don't. On another forum, a few months ago, a guy posted in dismay about having gone to the pub and overheard snatches of conversation about how 'Boris would sort everything out' i.e. immigration, yer Muslims, and Brexit.

sodalime likes this.
  8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

But I am so hoping that he squeezes through to the next round so that he can give Johnson an uncomfortable time at the debate this evening.
    You can bet on it that the others won’t.

cissy3, chelsea2 and sodalime like this.
  9. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Stewart is the 'outsider' who is not interested in serving in a BoJo led cabinet - the rest of them are, and will be this evening, squirming sycophants.

cissy3 and chelsea2 like this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Galling, then, that he's yet another born-to-lead entitled old-etonian!

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Precisely!
    :)

sodalime and eljefeb90 like this.
  12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Maybe he should now go down to Dover and take a boat to Calais... Just to see for himself how busy it is!:D

14. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

It depends on how high the stakes are. If you follow your democracy argument to its logical conclusion you COULD end up with large swathes of the populace agreeing to the utterly morally repugnant (mass persecution, nuclear Armageddon, stoning adulterers...). Of course there will be times when the minority have to make a stand otherwise they become “the silent” who simply stand by when atrocities are committed and some become “the missing” for daring to speak up against the majority view. I’m grateful for what has been done by minorities to change the tide of public opinion from the morally repugnant to the tolerant and beneficial. As a result we saw an end to the burning of witches, the end to children working in mills and pits, the end of slavery and the enfranchisement of women. Failure to listen to the MINORITY does indeed lead to tyranny.

chelsea2 likes this.
  15. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

He has been criticised for being ambiguous about this. He won’t serve in a cabinet under a leader that is pursuing a No Deal Brexit. Not personal to Boris Johnson.

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

According to Reuters it's personal to Johnson (quoting what he said on the Andrew Marr show apparently). It seems pretty unambiguous to me.

LONDON (Reuters) - [16 June 2019] Rory Stewart, a contender to replace British Prime Minister Theresa May, said on Sunday he would not serve under Boris Johnson if the former London mayor won the leadership contest, and criticised him for refusing to debate his Brexit policy.

“How is Boris going to deliver Brexit, how? ... I don’t even know what he believes. He won’t talk to me, he won’t talk to you, he won’t talk to the public. We want to know what he believes,” Stewart told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show.

“I would not serve under a Boris cabinet.”

sodalime likes this.
  17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Raab C Brexit. Aptly named. (I think playing the raving nutter card as opposed to just normal Tory nutter might have helped his exit).

sodalime likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What an uncomfortable looking seating arrangement? Perched on silly stools... why not a comfy sofa?

Or is the BBC trying to torture them?... not that I mind ...

Oh look Gove... must go and puke... [not literally]

Lara mfl 05 and sodalime like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Johnson is waving his fist...

Strength grrrr... ha!

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Gove showing he's a man of people using football analogies...

Man of the people... yeah right...