1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Conservative leadership contest. What a shower!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 11, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I just watched Rory Stewart's bizarre speech. If this is the best set of candidates the Conservative Party can muster, the Party is in deep trouble. Since its leader is about to become UK Prime Minister, it figures that we as a country are in deep trouble too. I despair for my beloved country.

TCSC47 and Laphroig like this.
  2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

The beginning remarks of the Four Weddings film come to mind.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's not all bad...

[WARNING: Bad word]

Oh dear

TCSC47, NoseyMatronType and nomad like this.
  4. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

Oh dear.
    62158771-CB36-49FF-AF22-60C48895D39C.jpeg
    Rory Stewart seems almost boringly sensible to me.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:rolleyes:

6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

He and Gove are probably the most sensible of the heap but they fall far below the level of sensibility that should be considered acceptable for a political leader. Least idiotic would be a more apt description.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You just described Gove as 'sensible'....

To the naughty step with you.

Coke fiend Mike

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    TCSC47, emerald52 and primarycat like this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

From the little I've heard of him, I agree. Almost like a breath of fresh air, compared to how other politicians come across. He gives the impression that he wants to say a lot more than he's able to in the sound bite politics and reporting we've become accustomed to.

When I looked earlier, Johnson was by far the front runner with 69 MPs backing him, which isn't surprising as his stance is roughly proportionally representative of the number of hard-liners whose behaviour has prevented any progress over Brexit, but you know what? Far more MPs backed the other candidates, so it ain't a done deal yet.

Even if he gets the support of the blue rinse brigade, he still has to win the support the other candidates have got and few of them favour the no deal option he prefers.

I doubt that Rory Stewart will make it to the final two, but he's someone worth placing a bet on to lead the party after the next GE ends in tears for the Tories, as will certainly happen.

9. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I must be contrary. I described Gove as:
    I used the term in a relative way. Being Gove and me being a retired teacher it was a severe wrench to do even that I assured you.

TCSC47 likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG];)

TCSC47 and primarycat like this.
  11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Well, I tell you now, Rory Stewart went down well. People liked him. Centre tories liked him. Anti Johnson and Goves liked him.

Your take on the speech is not reflected in how others received it.

sadscientist and lanokia like this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Much as everyone on here finds him appalling and feels a deep repugnance for his toadiness, he's one of the few Tories who actually got things done. We might not like what he did, but other politicians will respect him for it.

If you compare what he achieved as Education Secretary with what that idiot Duncan-Smith managed to in the DWP and the ongoing and unresolved fiasco of his input, Gove comes across as a star performer.

Unfit to run the country, but which Tory isn't?

afterdark likes this.
  13. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

Democracy only works if the people make it work.

Theresa May, appointed rather than elected, spent months trying to push a deal through parliament again and again knowing it would be defeated.
    Now we have these prize british specimens hoping to be elected by a tiny minority of the british people to run the country, several of whom are threatening to shut down parliament in order to prevent its democratically elected members from voting against it.

This having described the EU as undemocratic.

Imagine how this must look from outside the UK. I don't have to imagine, I am outside the UK and am hearing it all the time.

14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Aarrggghhhh. I feel as if I'm reading a version of Fighting Talk's challenge to defend the indefensible. Gove. Just eeewwwww.

chelsea2 likes this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

On a teachers discussion forum Gove is always going to be reviled but in his short spell as Justice Minister he was widely praised for taking a relatively liberal line on prisons, and as DoY says, was the one Cabinet minister who at Justice and then Environment actually got some things done while the rest were embroiled in inter-necine Brexit warfare and paralysing normal government.

I have a worrying feeling that if I had to pick the best of an incompetent bunch - and you can only choose from the ones standing - Gove or Stewart might turn out to be the least worst option.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

He's personally planted 5000 trees?

Good for him... credit to the man.

17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

[​IMG]

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If we're going for "least worst", Corbyn must be in with a real chance.

monicabilongame and Sally006 like this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In case anyone didn't see this on the other (BJ) thread:

[​IMG]

20. afterdark

afterdark Senior commenter

MAGAorMIGA likes this.