1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The compound risk of caution - help please!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Rubey, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Rubey

Rubey New commenter

Hi all,

Please forgive me for writing on this forum - I'm not actually a Headteacher, but I would appreciate some of your perspective.

I am trying to put together an EdD proposal, and I've been around the houses a bit with ideas. I've decided to just go with the thing that interests me most, which is about the 'compound risk of caution' (I've made that up). Essentially I want to investigate the idea that whilst reducing the risk of a child hurting themselves may seem to make sense on a case by case basis, there is a cumulative result of being risk averse, which is detrimental to the child.

My hope is that for part of the study I could collect some interview material with Heads about the balance that has to be found, in particular what the driving forces are that encourage caution, and those structures that you have used to promote calculated risk taking.

I would like to know if this is something that you think is worthwhile, and also if you have any stories that might highlight the difficulty faced in not removing all and every risk to the child.

Any ideas/comments/opinions very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ruben