1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the complex technology to disadvantage old-school teachers

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by NGWEZI, Oct 31, 2015.

1. NGWEZI

NGWEZI New commenter

many will loose their jobs

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

New Technology is only complex to any teacher young or old if they have not had the opportunity to learn how to use it.

In some ways, teaching people to think is even more important than being able to assemble laptops to screen projectors.

snowyhead and monicabilongame like this.
  3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Utter stereotypical claptrap. 'Old people can't use technology' is a baseless assumption really. There are elements in any profession who are resistant to change, and obviously more experienced members, who have done things a certain way for however long, are more vulnerable to this. It is no means a certainty though.

And if you are going to ask a question, a least make it a proper question, not simply a statement. And it is lose, not loose. A real pet-hate of mine that is.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Or even to spell . . .

Do take care, folks. I know that this is an on-line forum, and typos are easily made, by all of us including myself! To say nothing of autocomplete that makes complete rubbish sometimes of what you type.

But when you are writing an application, or using the whiteboard in an observed lesson, it needs to be with perfect grammar and spelling.

Common errors found in applications

Best wishes

5. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

When doing supply several years ago a 5 year old handed me an iPad. He said 'you need to do the register'. I must have momentarily looked puzzled as he proceeded to show me how to do this! It still makes me chuckle when I think of this and compare to how much I use an iPad in my school life now!

I am definitely not what you would call 'old' but my previous school had not used iPads and I don't own one myself. Technology moves so fast however much you know there is still so much more to learn and remember there is still an vital place for NOT using technology all the time.

Perhaps a supportive environment would generate people who were willing to take on new technology, rather than ridiculing people for not being up to speed with the next new thing, and the next new one, and the next one.....

6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

There is the debate of style over substance - is the use of this new technology simply pretty or does it assist in learning?
    I'm an older teacher (48) who remembers typing papers on a typewriter or even handwriting essays, but after a bit of exploration, really like some of the new technology - Powerpoint is great - I colour various nouns (blue for subject, green for direct objects) or italics for one verb tense, bold for another, which does reinforce grammar visually. I also set up vocabulary for KS4 and 5 on an online site (www.memrise.com) and use one or two other online resources. However, all this complements my teaching, not replaces it and if the technology fails, I don't panic - I just pull out the handy coloured white board markers! Hopefully a happy-ish medium.

Noja and Camokidmommy like this.
  7. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Couldn't agree more, sabrinakat!

Anyone remember the 'banda' machine? Oh the crumples I used to get! Heartbreaking...:(

8. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

Oooh yes. Bandas. Loved the smell. Spent hours writing masters...don't make a mistake! I was also so used to blackboards that I resisted using the new whiteboard with markers. It all seems so prehistoric nowadays.

9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Why assume that older people can't use technology? After all we invented it.

10. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I don't think I could use an interactive whiteboard without a tutorial first. I've never had a classroom with one in it!

This probably makes me a dinosaur.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It take very little time to pick up how to use IWBs (and most other school technology) at a basic level. With a bit of practice, you can become competent, or even pretty expert. Personally, I liked to be shown what the technology does and then have a chance to play with it, rather than being told how to do everything.

As an older person, I resent that suggestion that age prevents one using modern technology. I agree with sabrinakat that you need a plan B for when the technology fails.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

RedQuilt

I am sure you would be a super star with the IWB ( see you know another acronym which will add meaning to your life) once you had a tutorial and you are not a dinosaur.

Imagine doing a three year degree without Google or the internet and getting a First. I typed all my essays on an electronic typewriter since I did not own a computer., but still managed to do well.

Technology is only a tool.

One school I go to the girls us their Ipads to put on mascara - that seems to be the only use for it that I can see.

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I wouldn't be worried about learning to use an IWB but I'm glad I'll never need to. The lack of the gizmo has had no negative impact on my teaching or the way my students learnt.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The pupils love to help you out (show you up?) and rush to offer their support in my experience.

Best wishes.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  15. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I sent a birthday card to my Dad one year - "Happy birthday to someone of the generation that put man on the moon"

Inside: "pity you need help programming the video recorder" - also does show how many years ago I sent it!

However, last year my then 80 year old father, sent me instructions on how to get to his place using Google maps and he also bought a brand new Galaxy smartphone - and used it, berating me for not having Whatsapp.

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

A couple of years ago I was working with a young lady from Canada. We were working on something and she made a comment about how computers are easier for her generation. 'Yes' I replied, 'I've only been using them since 1975'.

17. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

Ah,I remember the one and only BBC Model B being wheeled into the classroom for one lesson a week..and the Commodore too,but I hated using that one!Happy days :)

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

In my second year at Uni, we were sent on week's computer course to a college near Ilford; UL hadn't got one of comparable size, we were told! This first exposure acted as aversion therapy to computers for the next twenty years. We were allowed to glimpse the actual hardware of the 'main frame' through a window, which looked like Joe 90 equipment being tended by people in operating theatre gowns.

To use this computer, we were sat in a large roomful of teletype machines, each of which seemed to be spewing out yards of kitchen paper: the noise was deafening! I remember spending hours trying to type out a programme in a simplified(?) language, called basic. These were then converted into batch cards, each one of which we had to number with a felt pen, and put in a basket, so that the computer could 'run it', overnight. Next morning, more often than not in my case, I would get by pile of batch cards back with a red-coloured rubber band around it, which meant 'programme doesn't run'. It took me all week, and a lot of help, to write a programme to draw a graph of X = Y.

19. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I never got the hang of the IWB but (a) I never had one in my classroom, and (b) I wasn't teaching a subject that would obviously have benefited from it. What I hated most was going into a maths room to teach where the previous teacher had unplugged everything so they could use their laptop (they all seemed to be techno-wizards) and not plugged anything back in. Used to take me AGES to work out all the spaghetti of wiring.

That said, in a previous incarnation I learned to read punch tape as it came through from Reuters on the tape machine

20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Not a dinosaur!! The very idea!!
    If you haven't been taught how to use a piece of technology, how could you be expected to use it? Osmosis? Would you expect your students to be able to master a skill without instruction?

The comment above ref spelling etc. made me smile as I even check my text messages before I send them, just in case!! :oops: