1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the commute to work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by catslovelycats, Sep 26, 2020.

1. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

Does anyone here have a commute of 50-60 minutes each way?
    If so, how do you find it?
    Is it sustainable?
    Am considering applying for a job that would involve about an hour commute. (Unless I move - which isn't totally off the cards). Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks

2. BehaviourQueen

BehaviourQueen New commenter

I do. And yes it’s sustainable for me because I love my school, my class etc. It’s worth the travel and the traffic jams.

It’s a joy to work where I work and, despite the 0630 departures from home and the 1730 returns from work, I don’t mind at all. I’ve found a good school and I’m happy.

Plus I’ve found changing the radio to SMOOTH radio helps me to unwind and not get so annoyed when idiots don’t know what lane on the motorway to be in. Lol

Hope this helps

3. catslovelycats

Thanks, Behaviour Queen.

BehaviourQueen likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had an even longer commute from 2000-2003 - it used to take me about an hour and a half to get to work and a little longer on the way back.

It was a lovely school (best I've ever worked in) - but it finally became unsustainable and I had to move on.

Certainly couldn't do that now - my current commute is about 25 minutes.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I commute an hour (motorway and dual carriageway) or hour and a quarter (country A roads) each way.
    But, same as @BehaviourQueen it's worth it as it's a great school, the commute isn't a problem.
    On the odd bad days, the commute home is really useful to sort things out in my brain and put things in perspective.

Previously I have a 7 minute cycle ride, but the school was soooo incredibly stressful I was constantly exhausted.

It does eat into your day in a big way. So if you are very sociable and/or do lots of classes in the evenings and so on, then it might not be for you.

6. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I spent 7 years doing a commute that was an hour on a good day, sometimes up to 1.5 hours if there'd been an accident on the motorway. I then moved to a different school 45-60 minutes in the opposite direction and was there for 4 years! I didn't enjoy either commute, but I did it because I couldn't find a job closer to home and I didn't want to move. What I did find, though, was that it's not just about time but about what the drive is like. The 7 years was about 50% driving up a mostly unlit stretch of the M1 with a lot of other traffic including a good number of lorries etc, 10% on a decent dual carriageway and the rest on urban roads with quite a lot of traffic, and I didn't realise how stressful I found the motorway part of it until I didn't have to do it any more. Even though my new school was still 45-60 minutes away, the commute was so much nicer - urban roads to start with but early enough that there was little traffic, then a dual carriageway that I always made good progress on, then suburban/semi-rural roads for the last part. I rarely got stuck in traffic apart from a few minutes at traffic lights, and not spending all autumn and winter having to drive up the dark M1 in heavy rain with lorries on all sides made such a difference!

7. catslovelycats

Thanks for the comments. Really useful and interesting. Yes, lucyrose50 the commute would be partly unlit long A roads, some dual carriageway and busy town...

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How did I know it was time to give the commute up ?

One summer evening I was driving home after a tiring day - I reached the junction of the motorway when I got off to drive home and some time later I became aware that I was actually on the other side of town driving back towards the motorway and that I had no idea how I got there - still don't.

Shortly afterwards I took a job much closer to home.

9. catslovelycats

Oh dear. I had similar once. Was at a roundabout literally 2 minutes from my house and was so tired I didn't know where I was. That was after a 25 minute commute.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Driving while very tired is extremely dangerous.

11. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I think you need to consider the winter months - heavy rain and hail, snow, strong winds, possible flooding, black ice, fog. You say you will need to drive along unlit roads - not much fun in those possible weather conditions. Also bad weather frequently results in long delays, possible detours, etc. I think you need to factor in all these considerations when making your decision. Personally, I would find it all too stressful.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You do need to be the kind of person who appreciates the beauty in various weathers.
    A shining moon can lift your spirits on a dark and dismal winter morning.
    A lovely sunrise can compensate for leaving home at 6am.
    A foggy drive can be made beautiful by seeing a watercolour view.
    A rainbow is always a joy after driving through a storm.

And you have to like driving.

13. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

There you go, @catslovelycats, after a 25 minute commute and you were so tired you didn't know where you were. Imagine how you might feel after a long, busy, stressful day at school and then faced, whilst tired, a 50 to 60 minute commute (on a good day). You put yourself at risk and you put other motorists at risk. Something else to factor in, I think.

14. catslovelycats

I agree lynne spetember. Yes. Thanks. Part of my issue was health related, but even so it is something I need to factor in. Hence toying with the option of moving house if it is too much.

agathamorse and BehaviourQueen like this.
  15. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

...and don't forget the cost.
    I travelled 35 miles each way for many years I reckoned fuel, tyres, extra servicing, general wear and tear etc. cost me about £200 a month

16. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Move - Save your time, money and energy where and when you can :)

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Ultimately, only you can decide. I used to have a 5 minute drive or 20 minute walk (much better for the mental health), but what with one thing and another, the school became unsustainable.
    Now, I have about 80 minutes, with about half on my bike. The workplace is rather more Phlogiston shaped. However, the travelling is tiring, and will, at some stage in the next few years, be the reason for changing what I do.
    I mostly enjoy the semi-rural drive, and really enjoy the bike ride (unless the weather is foul when there's a crowded bus option).
    I can't afford to move into Cambridge, and Mrs P's tutoring business runs mostly on word of mouth where we live.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I had a very difficult commute on Monday when it hammered down with rain so hard it was creating huge puddles. Since I travel at 6 am it was pitch black and it was not a particularly pleasant experience. On Friday I experienced a total nutter weaving in and out of traffic on a busy road - for a second he was heading straight at me at over 60 mph before he careered back into the right lane.

Also there is the possibility that you will break down. I spent half a day waiting by the side of the road the year before last when my car broke down on the way to school. I missed the entire day and had to take it as unpaid leave.

DYNAMO67 and agathamorse like this.
  19. janerain72

janerain72 New commenter

I had a 50-60 min commute in my former job (could be a bit quicker on a good day, but more often than not a bit longer on a bad day - and any car accident in the area seemed to have a knock on effect). I couldn't do it now i have a family, but I managed a couple of years.

20. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

16 years doing 50 mins each way. Now it's 15 mins - 10 mins more than it should be but I drop my daughter in town on the way. Life is a lot better for me not having to schlep to work.

Downside:the kids from school cycled past my house last t weekend and gave me their thoughts about my husband's car washing technique next lesson. They mean no harm but it's a bit of a pain them knowing where I live.

agathamorse likes this.