1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The colossal downturn in supply this year is effecting some more than others .opinions?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by is2, Nov 15, 2015.

1. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

It seems to me that the only very few supply teachers who are getting a modicum of work are 1. At the bottom end of the pay scale and/or just out of training (cheap and very enthusiastic) 2. People with a long long history of supply who have very good relations with schools, a 'devil you know' situation. Those like myself who have only been at supply for only a year and are an M6 ( I worked for 5 years as a full time permanent teacher in England before coming home to N.Ireland ) are the ones suffering the most and most affected with lack of work this year and phenomenal downturn at instant as we are expensive, not yet completely known to the schools and management fully and slightly lacking the enthusiasm that those just finished their PGCE year have. I have had enough frankly, it seems I am the least employable as I am too expensive and not completely known yet to schools even though I have arduously circulated my CV around loads of schools, have great references, know I'm a good teacher and spoke to schools directly and done follow up visits and calls to all of these with again no results. Again last year I was flooded with work and this year I have had a half day so far with not even a scrap of work supply wise on the horizon. Opinions welcome.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Is2

If you are in Northern Ireland and are finding it difficult to find work, are you in a position to move back to England to an area where there may be more work? Are you willing to work in primary and secondary? If you are able to do do both, then more opportunities may arise for you since around here at !east there seems to be plenty of work for primary teachers.

A lot of supply teachers are having to rethink what they are going to do since school budgets are tight. I teach in schools where it is a regular occurrence that there are not enough books to go around a class. I also see a lot of money wasted but it all means there is less money for supply and the permanent staff are willing to do more coved if it means they keep their own jobs. One school near me offers to pay teachers to cover during their free time, which is cheaper for the school than paying for supply teachers.

3. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

Thank you Pepper. Yes, circulated and contacted loads of Cvs and contacted loads of primary schools as well. No results. In fact in the sub teachers list ( which is used in n.ireland) I have indicated I will teach at all schools primary and secondary
    Not really in a position to move back as wife is very committed to living here. will keep trying other avenues
    Regards

4. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I am not young - have no idea what the scales is as haveo nly done supply since qualifying. Agency pays me 130 paye, direct schools pay me 165 (state) and 185 (indie) paye.

5. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

Age does not matter. It is whether you have done your NQT year. Each year thereafter you go up the pay scale if in a permanent and or long term temporary post. Seeing as you have not done your NQT year this makes you cheaper to hire
    Great you are getting work though,

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not anymore. Pay is often based on results rather than automatic.

pepper5 likes this.