1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Cold War, Hitler and Castro resources and recommendations for newbie

Discussion in 'History' started by nfk1001, Jun 22, 2017.

1. nfk1001

nfk1001 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I'm in my second year of teaching and am due to teach IB Diploma Level History for the first time next year without much handover to guide me. Although I am doing some CPD in the middle of next term, I'm keen to hit the ground running, and wanted to reach out for recommendations of resources, websites and IB text books for The Cold War as well as for Hitler and Castro.

The Units are officially called:
    • 'The Cold War: Superpower Tensions and Rivalries'
    • 'Authoritarian States 20th Century' with focus on Hitler and Castro.
    Any ideas for resources on these topics for A-Level or IB, or more general tips about the IB DP syllabus structure - IAs, EEs would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks :) :)

2. kuchizuke

kuchizuke New commenter

What is your core/prescribed topic (Paper 1) that you are teaching? The 2 topics you listed are from the optional World History topics (Paper 2). Are you teaching Standard or Higher level?

Most publishing companies do a decent selection of textbooks for popular IB topics. Personally, I quite like the Access to History series...

Do the Cat. 2 History IB CPD course as soon as you can (can always just do the online one) as it gives you a decent overview of the syllabus. Also, sign up for the Online Curriculum Centre (I think might have to ask your school's IB coordinator to help you do that) - then you can access samples of past papers/EEs/IAs... BUT note that the syllabus just changed recently, so most of the papers before 2017 will be different (Also EE is changing next year too).

3. nfk1001

nfk1001 New commenter

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - it is much appreciated.

I am teaching HL and SL in the same class, until Paper 3, which we teach last. We start with Paper 2 topics next term.
    Paper 1: Civil Rights and Apartheid
    Paper 2: Cold War and Authoritarian States (Castro and Hitler)
    Paper 3 HL: History of the Americas.

I have found an Access to History text book on the Cold War on Amazon and will order it in - it looks good and thanks for the tip. I am also signed up for a Cat 1 course in October, I hope this will be enough. I am on the IBO site so have downloaded the relevant paperwork so will get my head around the new syllabus as much as possible as well as the new EE...

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice and if anything else strikes you as relevant, please let me know.

Thanks and best wishes :)