1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Code

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Polecat, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Some of you must have watched 'The Code' last night or previously.
    What did you make of it or the series?
    My feeling is that the content was good, but that Marcus should feel
    a little upset at the editing. Not a good advert for maths - he made it
    look interesting but only for the likes of him and similarly clever people..
    What do you think?

2. Some of you must have watched 'The Code' last night or previously.
    What did you make of it or the series?
    My feeling is that the content was good, but that Marcus should feel
    a little upset at the editing. Not a good advert for maths - he made it
    look interesting but only for the likes of him and similarly clever people..
    What do you think?

3. DM

DM New commenter

I only saw the first and the third programme (might watch the second on BBC iPlayer at some point). I thought the third was better than the first but, as you said, it made mathematics seem inaccessible by showing the serial killer formula and so on. Everyone will probably also believe "The Code" is an well-established piece of mathematics. I fully expect to be asked "How much of The Code can you do Sir?" next term.

4. I've only seen the first so far and have the other two downloaded to watch. I thought the program was a lot of style over substance. I also found myself getting annoyed at the half explanation of things that would of been so much better with just a touch more explanation - (although this is possibly me coming from a science background). I am interested to see what he does with foams because that is what I have done my PhD on.

I did quite like the way he did the finding pi bit. I am starting my maths GTP in September so I am on the look out for ideas like this. :D

5. DM

DM New commenter

Your students will surely be thrilled by a school trip to a stone circle.
    Could I interest you in an avatar Emmylou?
    [​IMG]

6. Thanks DM - Hopefully I now have my wedding shoes as my pic :) How do you get text on separate lines?

To the OP sorry for gate crashing.

7. DM

DM New commenter

Why were you lying under that table at your wedding?
    [​IMG]

8. GoldMaths

GoldMaths New commenter

Put in "" with P inside the spaces.

9. I certainly don't think that anyone who didn't know much about maths would be watching the Code. I found the first episode quite slow. Some interesting bits, but quite slow. I don't think it hold people's attention.

10. As previously posted, the first episode was slow and lumbering and a re-hash of his Royal Institution Christmas Lectures. The series has picked up a bit and I quite enjoyed the third show. I did a tiny part of me hoping he got the calculation for the ball a little bit wrong, just to wipe the smug look off his face.

11. DM

DM New commenter

Didn't you notice the deckchair was offset to the side of the ramp when our Marcus was sitting on it? Obviously the BBC insurers did not share his confidence in mathematics.

12. Quite so! I remember 'Vince' (what happened to him?) commenting scathingly on here about Prof Cox but I'd rank Marcus as lower for both content and interest.

13. DM

DM New commenter

I miss Vince. I sent him a pm a few days ago to see if he was still alive but no joy. He would almost certainly be scathing about Marcus.

14. Yes, I agree, I miss Vince too. I agreed with very little of what he said but at least he was eloquent and could argue his points.

15. Unlike you clever fellow on here, I'm not an expert mathematician although I do hold an interest in the subject and intend to do the whole 'life long learning' thing. Anyway, having only seen the first episode I was surprised at the lack of content in the full hour. I think if you get rid of all the editing you could have shortened it down to a half hour programme. Additionally, I agree with the other poster that there were very few explanations as to how he came up with some of his numbers - particularly the normal distribution, which would have turned anyone who didn't know much about maths off the programme.
    On a personal note, I still enjoyed it but I prefer Prof Cox in his presentation of content and I was certainly expecting the golden ratio thrown in at an appropriate point. Perhaps this will come later? As a pianist too, I quite liked the link the music, although this became quite repetitive. I'll have to catch up with the rest on BBCi player.

16. If I were you, I'd pull the plug out of the wall!
    M de S = code for Dull City, Arizona [​IMG]

17. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

The maths bits were interesting, especially in the third programme with things like the geographic profiling. But those flashback bites were intensely annoying, and I cringed every time he mentioned 'the code' - just call it maths. He should watch Jim Al-Khalili to see how to present a factual series without unnecessary trips around the world and silly gimmicks.

18. DM

DM New commenter

[​IMG]

19. lol!

20. I thought exactly the same thing about 'The Code' and found myself thinking 'just spit it out man'!

I would be interested to hear what more non-mathmaticians thought of it. I'd be wary of using the films in class because I think they would be a bit of a turn off for students. I suppose a few of the sections might gain their attention, especially the deckchair part!