1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The code: Monstrous fish

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Polecat, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Marcus did a great job, as usual.
    However, I'm left wondering how he worked out the weight of the largest fish caught by the fisherman. As a mathematician, I know that there is no limit to the weight, if it follows a normal distribution; but I suppose statisticians work from a different rulebook.

2. You have made a bassic spelling error. It's place, not plaice. At least you can now edit posts to change it.
    I watched some last night on the BBC I-player. I was willing for it to speed up but may get into it. I loved the ones he did a few years back when he went round the world looking at the history of maths.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Oh, the irony [​IMG]

4. SAY A CRUD SUM OUT !
    Just the same old, same old ....
    ... I was in Dull City, Arizona by the end of this first episode ! [​IMG]
    PS Any better anagrams welcomed, btw

5. DM

DM New commenter

6. SATURDAY MUCOUS ???

7. [​IMG]
    Anyone else think he looked like Simon Pegg? Especially when he adopted the serious pose, walking away from a scene.

8. I thrash them as usual with hard work, high pace and huge expectation. No desire to be judged on something I would never do in my every day teaching as its unfair on the kids, the school and me. They dont all of a sudden start rearing up like flipper waiting for a sardine or stick post it notes on each others heads.
    The only thing I alter is handing the clipboard with a suit my lesson plan when they arrive and explain that the pupil standing in the corner with their nose against a wall all lesson is a independent-tactile-young person-learner whos needs I am catering for whilst his 8 TA's are looking after his tablets and time out card.
    Anyway back on topic before I get whaled at.

9. Yes this is what I have noticed from BBC's recent outputs, soooooo sloooooow.
    Highly recommend the History Channel's 'Engineering An Empire' - the whole set is something like £20 from Amazon - if you want fast paced. Combines history with 'bits of engineering', but you really need to watch every second of it as almost nothing is repeated. Excellent high quality broadcasting with pictures! Just to show that this can be done without a nodding donkey* presentational style of the BBC. I would swear that any one of these 14 documentaries contains more interest than any whole series of the BBC's recent outputs.
    Plenty of ideas of Math teachers as well I should think ...

*Although the 'show' is hosted by Paul Weller - he's actually an academic nowadays - he just pops up for 2-3mins intervals maybe 2 or 3 times per programme to deliver - robocop style - pithy commentaries, it's actually quite a good technique. Rest is American voiceover - worth listening too for how semicircle is pronouced! - and cuts to academic experts who all vary between 'shows'. For an American programme it's very fast paced compared to some of their pure entertainment outputs, and blows away anything the BBC has produced over the last 5 or so years. Oh, and no fracking weird sounds effects or camera work either.

10. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

That's entertainment?