1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The coast...the Northeast coast...ideas for creative lessons.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, May 9, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Are you close enough to visit the coast and take some black and white photos? I'm thinking close-ups or unusual angles of everyday things - not classic sea views.
    These could spark poetry and also be used for art work too.

2. Good idea. I'll try to get to the coast this weekend. Love the black and white idea.
    Apart of this topic this teaching about Erosion and how coasts are shaped. How can I make this creative and interesting for the children?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can the children visit the coast and take the pictures? Then use their pics for a starter for story writing, poetry, art, etc?

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Do you do anything with them about archaeology? You could investigate the animals that used to live in the forests that are now submerged by the North Sea and write stories about meeting a woolly mammoth, a wolf or lion.
    You could do some art work of the petrified forests and write poems to go with their pictures.
    Are there any submerged villages near to you? The children could perhaps write a legend about a lost village.
    How would they feel if they had to leave their home because of erosion by the sea? Have a debate about building a sea defence that protects one area to the cost of another. Representatives could put forward why their village/town should be protected rather than the other place.
    Sorry if you already do these, or they're not suitable - just thinking [​IMG]