1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Chronically Offended

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Sep 20, 2018.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm totally useless reading other people in the flesh or by media.

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Lets face it,
    Some people just do not have anything better to do

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

I remember this:
    For n=1
    Next n
    Let n=n+1
    Return

Its all very
    Basic really

lexus300 and Nanook_rubs_it like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oo-er. Looks like sums. :(

5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

On the face of it, a complaint about the use of an innocuous phrase like this does seem to be the deliberate attempts of the 'perpetually offended' to find fault in everything.
    However, I do believe it is just one of a series of complaints that are being investigated as part of Operation Embley, which is looking into allegations of racism, interfering with investigations and turning a blind eye to wrongdoing perpetrated by Met's Directorate of Professional Standards department. That suggests that there's more to this than a single incident of someone deciding that you can't say white without being racist.

Besides, 'that's not what the words mean' doesn't cut it for me. It's not like, as teachers, many of us have experienced the insidious ways that seemingly harmless phrases can be used in such a way to deliberately isolate us; keeping the speaker's nose clean, while making their intentions clearly understood for those present. How many of us have stated that we feel like we're walking around with targets on our backs, but there isn't any one specific incident, just a series of jibes dressed up as jokes or banter, pointed comments that undermine dressed up as mere constructive criticism etc. Words are never just words, they're just part of a whole tapestry of communication and the interpretation of their meaning depends on such a multitude of factors that it's almost impossible for someone who wasn't party to the conversation to decide how someone present should or shouldn't have felt about what was said.

But sure, feel free to get offended by an allegation that's deliberately been reported in such a way to deliberately prompt people to be outraged by 'PC gone mad' or whatever.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Innocent or not, whoever is in the dock during your jury duty is ******.

lexus300 and Sir_Henry like this.
  7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Haha. Why do you think that?

8. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

Why is it always n? There are other letters you know! How alphabetist! I am terribly offended. (Insert some kind of jocular emoji in your own minds as I am technologically challenged!)

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

A black market. A black mark. My black best friend always told kids if they let her down she'd give them a black look. Hehe heh heh that confused them!
    In this country black = darkness and dirt. All negative and nothing to do with skin colour. In foreign realms where black skin is usual, dirt is lighter. You wash the light off.
    If that's too hard to get around, maybe "sensitivity" is on the same chromosome as "dull".

10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Are you sure about that? What's the code supposed to be doing?

11. EmanuelShadrack

Careful now - you might become the black sheep of the thread.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  12. EmanuelShadrack

And if you were fined for making such remarks, you might no longer be in the black.

13. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

'Offence' is an industry now in the UK.

lexus300, xmal and woollani like this.
  14. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Until finding yourself being blackmailed by a blacksmith.

les25paul and lexus300 like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But there 'black' is used in a positive context...

To steal from Woolani... oh dear... why can't the English language be consistent*

* Cough rough though bough

16. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

I think we should just whitewash over the whole thing.

les25paul and lexus300 like this.
  17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

It's a cultural thing!

Variables (x,y,z) end of alphabet, coefficients (a,b,c) beginning of alphabet and counting (n,m) middle of the alphabet.

I am very offended that you would question my culture!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicken_madras likes this.
  18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

White males offend, not black or brown or shades other than white? I wonder why? Inferiority perhaps? Oops!:oops::p

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

And your weapon of choice sir?

20. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I will take the very sharp suit.