1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The chronic procrastination thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gargoyle770, Feb 2, 2012.

1. I've lived here for 16 years and still not gotten around to painting the ceiling.
    I should do that one day...

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm putting off making a list of all the jobs I haven't done yet.

3. I'll start with what I can see in front of me...
    Firstly, I need to rake out my P60 to copy and send away for the o/h student loan...
    then compare car insurance quotes...
    before booking my car in for a service and mot....
    and writing and sending the cheque for my boiler service...
    then paying a few bills online...
    after which I might think about starting on the even longer list of things I've got to do at work!!

4. I have loads of stuff I am putting off - lots of crafting ideas and stash that needs to be actually made!
    I think I just like making lists!

5. Thanks for joining in everyone.

I've done two of my three e-mails

Still have to do nasty paperwork, folder of work, and now adding planning and assessment tasks for the next year, which have to be submitted by end of next week........

There's lots of other things, like phoning the phone company, paying bills, buying new clothes for work etc, etc, etc... as well as a hundred other things... but I'll start with these and aim to get them done this weekend...... wish me luck, and good luck to everyone else!

6. I did nothing on my list...
    ...I might manage to make a list of things to do at work, but there's no time for me to do any of them today....

(no, I'm not procrastinating right now, I'm out of my classroom with a class that isn't mine and don't have any of the stuff I need to get done with me to actually get any of it done!)

7. E-mails done

Nasty piece of paperwork done...... only four years late............

Bought new pair of shoes, two new skirts and four new tops.... I hate clothes shopping, so this was a major achievement!

Today I need to finish two folders for work, one of which is nearly done. Will keep going as I'm on a roll....

How's everyone else going?! Good luck!

8. One folder finished...... yay!!!! [​IMG]

9. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Are you on a different time line to us or did you really reply at 4.38 and 6.59 in the morning?
    Sounds as though you have motivated yourself by posting here - well done.
    1. I've still not found room for all the stuff in the bags that I brought home from school when I retired last July - I've sorted through them but I have nowhere to put the stuff in the them so they just take up space in my bedroom.
    2. I'm waiting to be bored enough to clear out my bedroom so that I can start decorating - a task I promised myself I would do once I had the time - which I now have. Just keep watching telly all the time, its pathetic and I am annoyed with myself.
    3. Too much to think about - hoping that it's the weather that is stopping me from doing stuff.

10. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

1. Go to the dentist
    2. Go to the doctors about an ever rising multitude of issues.
    3. Book a hair appointment.
    Notice a pattern here? Think I need some me time!

11. Thanks for reply! Yes, I'm in Oz, so I'm 11 hours ahead just now.

It has really helped posting here and I'm finally starting to feel a bit more motivated. I've just been a bit overwhelmed since I spent all of my school holidays back in Scotland, so came back a few weeks ago to a to-do list that is still incredibly long. I only started getting things done because I was waking up in a blind panic. One thing that I've found that helps is to tell myself that I'm only going to spend 10 minutes on a task, and then do something more interesting. Once I've started I realize that it's never as bad as I thought... and I can keep going.

I hope you're feeling better and that the weather improves soon! Having just been in Scotland I know that I didn't even want to get out of bed on those cold dark mornings.. good luck :)

12. Yes... this is me too. I've been avoiding the dentist for over a year, I missed my last doctor's appointment and now am too scared to make another one in case I've been struck off their list, and I don't even want to say how long it is since my last haircut!

13. I"m just upping this, to see if anyone else wants to join in?!

I've managed to tackle another task that was a year overdue.....

Still have a huge to-do list... but starting to finally realize that I actually feel better if I just do my best to break through that gut-churning feeling and get on with it

Am actually starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel... I think I'm about half-way through the things that are causing me the most stress......

14. marymoocow

Well 2. days into hols and whilst I got most sch work done on Sat so I could enjoy my hol, I still haven't booked hair or docs appointment as stuck in waiting for various deliveries. Did do dentist last week though

15. Thanks for replying... I have been putting the dentist off for about two years now (at least) and am still too embarrassed to say when my last haircut was! I'm just thinking that if I can get the work things done first, then I'll feel more relaxed about the more personal things....... At least you got your school work done... well done! [​IMG]

16. marymoocow

My hair appointment always end up being a complete restyle because I leave it too long! I used to be a bit phobic about hairdressers due to many bad experiences as a child and teenager, but am getting better now that I have found a lovely young man to do it. It was the bitchy females that bothered me. Mind he still asks everytime I go whether my hair grows quickly!
    I have friends that love going to the hairdressers and count it as their me time, but I still find it a hassle and hate that cold feeling when your hair is wet. My daughter goes to a different hairdressers and her hairdresser was making comments about her hair similar to what I used to get at her age. It didnt seem to efffect my daughter but it really annoyed me and she is now going to start going to my hairdressers from now on. Some hairdressers really dont get that you are paying them for a service and to feel special and we really dont want to hear them moaning about how long it takes to dry thick hair. Especially as hairdresser owners are charging more per hour than most teachers earn!

17. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Finally got around to admitting that my knees really are hurting!!! Told doc but just got sympathy speech about wear and tear. He did send me for an x-ray though. Not really sure what I want done just maybe confirm that I am not moaning about nothing.
    Still haven't tidied my bedroom. I know I should as I want desperately to decorate but it is just too overwhelming. The rest of the rooms in the house also need a tidy - nothing major, that's the problem, just stuff that needs to be put away. If I was having visitors I know I would do it no problem but otherwise I just leave things lying around and watch another episode of Property Ladder or DIY SOS!!!!
    I've got the 'gang' coming around on 25th so will probably leave the tidying until 24th - just don't need to add to it (talking to myself now). HELP!

18. marymoocow

I know what you mean, I always need an incentive. Was going to do a deep clean as mother was visiting and I really cant face comments about housework from her. She has OCD, I'm not a complete sloven.However she isnt coming now so cant be bothered. I'm not a lazy person, but come the hols, I am increasingly ready to flop as the years go by. Fortunately my teenage children/slaves are the right age to start doing more to help.[​IMG]

19. I totally understand both of you! I HATE going to the hairdresser. Having just moved, I don't even know where to go. My hair is really long and thick too. I can just about tolerate having a dry cut, but a lot of hairdressers won't do that. I hate sitting in front of the mirror staring at myself, while the hairdresser says "So WHERE did you last have your hair cut?" I had one hairdresser who used to talk endlessly, but look at herself in the mirror, which was very disconcerting.

Dentist.... Completely phobic about this. I have a bad gagging reflex and dentists get very impatient with me. I need to find one that will talk to me like I'm five years old. I managed to get some work done a few years ago, but over several visits and doped up to my eyes on valium. I have a chipped tooth and know I need to do something, but it's in the "too hard' basket for the time being.

Doctor.....I .was so stressed, I was having chest pain. Went to see the doctor and had a barrage of tests done. I was still so stressed I didn't take the time to cancel the appointment.. I just didn't turn up, which was bad, but even making a simple phone call was beyond me. Now, I'm too scared to phone in case they've struck me off their patient list

I don't have any real advice, but the only reason I started doing things after starting this thread, was that the amount of pain I was in from not doing things, finally made doing things the easier option. I was throwing up some mornings from stress, having sleepless nights and nightmares when I did get to sleep (all nightmares involved chaos, like trying to pack a room full of clothes into one suitcase, or a kitchen full of dirty dishes and flies everywhere) and eventually I just had enough. I find writing lists helps and ticking things off... I break the list into tiny little sections. Like, honestly... CLEAN STUDY.... Pick up papers off floor. Put on desk. Sort into piles. or KITCHEN.... Wash dishes. Put away. Put compost in bin. Clean surfaces. Sweep floor.etc

I know that sounds ridiculous, but ticking a little thing off the list makes me feel better, even if I have a quick peek on here, in between washing the dishes and putting them away!

Today I need to compile two further folders of work, and do my planning for tomorrow... and then I'll feel as if the really difficult things are out of the way. Not sure how far I'll get, but that's the plan...

20. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Ye gods Annie, I'd have palpitations about making a list.
    It's on my 'will do eventually' brain wave! Sometimes the neurons don't match up though LOL!!