1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Christmas Thread

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mainwaring, Dec 12, 2015.

1. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Going back to God's country for only the 2nd time in 19 years

Last time it was 25 degrees at Cairo airport and -5 at Edinburgh. Did I have any winter clothes? Did I hell! Froze my **** off which is quite a feat considering I had already put on my hibernation fat

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

isn't that New Zealand?.... that's what all Kiwi's i have ever met call it:)

3. bigfatgit

They're just Scots stuck in the 1950s

dumbbells66 likes this.
  4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

[QUOTE="pauljoecoe, post: 12980562: Played at a lovely Christmas Carol Service in Hong Kong St Johns Cathedral the other night. Lovely and Christmassy, Trees, lights, Mulled wine and mince pies. Got another 2 Christmas performances line up too so even though its not home its starting to feel like Christmas.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday was the pen-penultimate rehearsal for my choir's Carol Festival next Friday. Our regular venue is an Andalucian village church twenty minutes drive from home and yesterday Mrs M was listing all the paraphernalia, such as spotlights, keyboards cables and candles we could take with us this Sunday to avoid having to cart it all on the day.

'Shall we take the wine and mince pies?' I asked.
    'Not likely! It's First Communion class on Thursday afternoon. We might turn up on Friday to find nothing but crumbs. To say nowt of Fr Javier being confronted by a class of sozzled ten-year-olds.

Good to see BFG on a rare visit to these boards. Still mourning the disappearance of my favourite reprobate Pharaoh.

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

He's probably just battling with TE Data internet as usual....

6. Mainwaring

Knowing Pharaoh he battled once too often with the mods.

7. ed717

ed717 New commenter

One week to go and got 3 weeks off. Heading to northern India and Nepal for some snow as living in the tropics I really miss the cold :D

8. bigfatgit

Pharaoh has changed locations of his shower checking twice since he last posted but still in the land of the sphinxter
    Very rarely see the cantankerous old git nowadays

9. Mainwaring

A great pity. We cantankerous old gits should stick together. At my age I like to remember the elderly Noel Coward's comment that all he required of his friends was that they should survive through lunch.

Odyssey4 likes this.