1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Christmas Thread

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mainwaring, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

A former deputy of mine and her husband had a Christmas Day tradition of lunch on the beach at Bamburgh, Northumberland. The champers did not need chilling.

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Some would say brave, others, foolhardy!

3. Mainwaring

Indeed. I have photos of Mrs M and our offspring at Dunstanburgh in summer and she's wearing an anorak and the Emmets are in balaclavas.

4. ChaiLattePlease

ChaiLattePlease New commenter

I’ll be having curry for Christmas Dinner too, although back in the U.K.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2018
  5. Mainwaring

Each year my choir puts on a carol service which is mainly attended by the expat community. Last year, the date was so early that we did some Advent music in addition to some Nativity carols. Our nearest supermarket, Eroski (sounds like a Russian sex shop) doesn't 'do' Advent. Neither, of course, do the UK ones, apart from those tacky calendars, and the concept is not much understood. So there was a chorus of wails and moans from folk who hadn't seen the inside of a church since the previous year's carol bash and a miserly collection in aid of the hospice where many of us are destined to end our days. For the past half dozen Christmases I have been bothered, beleaguered (though far from bewitched) on Facebook by a certain individual whom I reluctantly had to sack from the choir because he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. A couple of years back I wrote a ditty in his honour:

Said Peter, in chagrin and spleen,
    'This choir's the worst ever seen!
    Mind you (ain't it odd?)
    I can never tell God
    Save the Weasel
    From Pop Goes the Queen.'

This year we did Baby Jesus and Little Donkeys from end to end, spiced with Christmas in the Trenches and Cider with Rosie. Total rapture from all concerned and a 'silent' collection (which trebled last year's) for a Spanish children's cause. Not only that, but I have received a rapturous email from Peter, congratulating me on finally getting it right. And now, of course, I am deeply ashamed of my previous petulance.

And if you believe that, you really do believe in Santa and his little helpers.

6. Mainwaring

A very Merry Christmas to all. The builders who have been with us for more than a month departed yesterday, so while Mrs M tackles the turkey I'll be celebrating Yuletide with a pressure washer.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Merry Christmas from Taiwan! Fab day with friends and family. Hope you're all enjoying your holidays!

8. Mainwaring

Same to you and all the Tessers. I've enjoyed the funstuff with the pressure washer. We are now in the midst of undusting the interior. This old Andalus farmhouse has nine rooms. The muchachos worked in eight of them plus the staircase. They unrubbled meticulously, but dust and grit get into unlikely places and every space needs doing again and again. We are looking forward to a gritless New Year and meeting our third granddaughter whom we currently know only as Bump. All her cousins are also girls but our solitary grandson doesn't seem to mind.

9. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Christmas day on the beach in Bermuda was fun; sea temperature 67 F, champagne temp a lot less! Pink sand, like dust, gets into some awkward places Captain as you say! But it was fun!

10. Mainwaring

Sounds fun, though as a confirmed pleb I'm not fond of champers or any of its fizzy variants. The weather here in the hills of Andalusia is about as perfect as it gets. Bright sunshine, around 20C at midday and wildflowers blooming on every side. This is a Spain the average holidaymaker never sees.

11. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

All over for another year....flying back today. Happy New Year everyone.

Perce

12. Mainwaring

Reviving this festive thread from the days before Mrs Grundy was appointed as Chief Moderator. (I wonder how long it will last) and raising a glass to some great contributors who are no longer with us.

13. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

Only a two week visit this year. Not as greedy as I used to be. Then back to the Yoo Kay on Boxing Day to see off the end of the Christmas and New Year hostilities.

14. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

We fly back next weekend. Our little ones seem to thrive in the cold, wet weather, but, like a Bizzie Lizzie, only for a short period. Once the festivities are done we will fly back to the sun on New Years Eve, to escape all the rubbish that that day brings with it.....

15. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Still avoiding the return to the UK, but alas not the relatives this year. Made a mistake of buying a house somewhere nice with lots of cheese and wine and they all seem to think they can come to visit.....

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  16. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I have to go back for 4 days and im seriously not looking forward to it. First time back in 5 years though. Hopefully it will be at least another 5 years before i have to suffer the UK again.

17. Mainwaring

We left Yookay twenty-eight years ago. Our parents are long gone and our children and grandchildren have settled elsewhere, though we occasionally return to visit Mrs M''s sister and her family and some long-standing friends from our earliest days as young marrieds. Since we settled in our old finca halfway up a steep hill in Andalucia we have been delighted to host folk from all over the world. My grandfather's elder brother William fled to Washington State in 1890 to escape his cantankerous father (whom I'm said to resemble). William's lovely great granddaughter has been my pen pal for almost twenty years and we met for the first time this year when she walked through our front door and we fell into each other's arms.

18. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

And what a difference a year makes. Now we have escaped to the sun, a two week holiday looms. Back to Hungary to visit the in laws and a Christmas on Christmas Day for the first time.....

motorhomer likes this.
  19. Mainwaring

Here in our corner of Sunny Spain it's been raining for much of the past month though we can see deep snow on the distant Sierra Nevada.

20. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Still another 2 weeks here in Hong Kong before me and my wife fly home to UK. Hired an air B&B Herefordshire and will spend a week there with our son and daughter, the daughters fiance and the mother in law. Then back home town of Milton Keynes for the new year with friends. Really looking forward to being home again. Christmas isn't the same without loved ones.

Played at a lovely Christmas Carol Service in Hong Kong St Johns Cathedral the other night. Lovely and Christmassy, Trees, lights, Mulled wine and mince pies. Got another 2 Christmas performances line up too so even though its not home its starting to feel like Christmas. Sadly a lot of the Christmas stuff seems to be lacking here this year due to the 'troubles'. No Christmas Tree in Central Square!!!