1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Christmas Thread

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mainwaring, Dec 12, 2015.

1. 576

576 Established commenter

Going traveling.

2. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

We're staying home, too. I'm recovering from back surgery and the thought of the 7-8 hours drive to our place at the beach was more than I could contemplate with equanimity. Merry Christmas to all...

3. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

Three week visit to the Magic Kingdom. Which is what I was doing earlier in this thread. Much more enjoyable, though, when it's not surrounded by a term of work either side...

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

This reminds me that on a festive thread of yesteryear, I remarked that two PhDs had been among our Christmas lunch guests. However, my old friend Professor C responded with wounding scorn, pointing out that a PhD is not in fact a person but an illuminated document awarded by a university. The Professor claimed that my statement meant that Mrs M and I had lunched in lonely splendour except for two framed higher degree certificates standing in their place settings on the other side of the table. While I normally placed complete confidence in the wisdom of the Professor in all matters of philology, philosophy, politics, religion, metaphysics, stylistics, semantics, linguistics, ethics, Essex and excavation. I'm wondering if he was quite correct on that particular point. Is it permissible to write ‘I had shared Christmas lunch with two PhDs' or must I say 'I partook of festive cheer with two gentlemen who have been awarded the distinction of doctorates by their respective academic institutions'? Would any colleague care to comment?

5. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

I shall be enjoying a very Indian festive season with my partner's family here in Malaysia as I am too far pregnant to fly back to see family.... Curry on Christmas Day will be a new one for me!

6. Mainwaring

Go easy on the curry. That and pregnancy could be a volatile mixture. Depending, of course, on the strength of the curry. Curry for breakfast seemed exotic when I first encountered it. When, after five years in Asia, we reverted to toast and marmalade I rather missed it. And here in Spain no-one cooks squid as wonderfully as the couple who ran the little street restaurant near our school in Johor.

7. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

I've managed to (as usual) grumpily duck out my school's 'Secret Santa'.

That said, if only the same organisational flair, initiative, inventiveness and imagination could be applied to other aspects of school life, my place would be a true world beater.

8. Mainwaring

A couple of days ago during the penultimate rehearsal for our Carol Festival I looked up from my score and noticed that one of the altos was wearing a bobble hat with the caption 'Bah! Humbug!' Clearly it's going to be a festive occasion.

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Back to the UK for us. It has been ridiculously hot here in Bangkok so going out for walks all wrapped up will be great fun. Roll on Wednesday.

Perce

Redparrotfish likes this.
  10. rosiecg

11. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I'm staying in the UAE and spending it with a few non-teaching friends who are working over the festive period. Big blow out on Christmas Eve lined up plus a very nice/refined brunch an the 25th.

I'm looking forward to it, even though I'll miss my family.

12. Mainwaring

Normally Mrs M and I would be spending a chilly Christmas 400 miles north of anywhere with the Mainwaring Majors and two of the mini Mainwarings. (It was minus 25C when we landed at Minneapolis on our last visit). But a new residence and the imminent arrival of a third mini M has brought about a postponement. When Mrs M announced in the Spring of 1979 that she was in an interesting condition we were the ones who had just moved house. All our elderly relatives nodded wisely and said 'Ah! new job, new house...new baby.' 'Another old wives' tale,' said we. But, behold, 'tis true and clearly history does repeat itself.

13. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Yes, cold season hasn't quite hit yet, has it? Saying that, I got the nasty stomach flu going round the other week, and spent a fortnight wrapped up and shivering. It was quite an experience to be shivering in 35 degree heat!

To contribute to the larger discussion, I will be going on a crafty retreat in Cambodia. Watercolours and sketching, stone carving, palm wood carving, and making traditional khmer instruments. Very much looking forward to leaving Thailand for the first time in two years!

14. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

I don’t finish until 21st December, and Mrs NR is working over Christmas (she’s not allowed leave between last week of November until end of January) so we can never holiday over Christmas and our children have never had Christmas Day on the 25th in their life yet (this year we’re having it on the 27th).

Also means the children’s grandparents who live in Hungary have never seen the children over Christmas.

One of the reasons we’re looking for a new life.

15. rosiecg

I'm hoping that curry on Christmas might prompt the baby to make an early ish appearance - I should be 36 weeks by then! The doctor did say to start eating even spicier foods if I want to get things going....

16. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Roll on Friday... I'm hoping that I can make a break for it before I pick up something from the petri dish that my classroom seems to be.

17. Xtinelove

Xtinelove New commenter

Holiday in Cambodia for me!

18. Mainwaring

One C.O. Jones, who occasionally appears by proxy on these boards, is married to my sister-in-law Glamorous Glenys. Forty-something years ago, C.O. was a flying instructor at Cranwell where a certain Charles Windsor was a cadet. Glenys was mightily enceinte and weary with it so Chuck suggested a rapid ride in C.O's Land Rover across a rough field. Glenys sensibly preferred more conventional gynecological advice.