1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Christmas Thread

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mainwaring, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Remembering my pioneering days as a young GSA headmistress, my Best Beloved is spluttering into her bedtime cocoa at the thought of Syd the Sexist, alias Mainwaring the Misogynist. (Don't double your epithets. It weakens an already feeble assertion).

Nothing new, then.

scrooge-274x300.jpg

2. Mainwaring

Infamy! Infamy! The mods have got it in for me! (Gaius Julius Caesar, 44 BC/ infortunatus Fabricius, 2015)

346517.full.gif

3. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

The Christmas purges continue without abatement. Sad. Should TES moderators really have Stalin as their inspiration.

4. Mainwaring

russian_history_bookcover.jpg
    Did I miss something interesting?

5. Dr CO Jones

Dr CO Jones New commenter

6. Mainwaring

7. Principal-Skinner

Nothing of excitement had been said, just another purge. There's at least 3 regulars that have been purged, possibly four if the trolling Oz lady has been banned, in the last month.
    One finds it quite awful as this seems to be indicative of a trend in UK education. What happened at Goldsmith's recently is the same mindset that TES mods share.
    Does Theo share the purge mentality too? My guess from a spat we had many moons ago is that he does.
    So much for "goodwill toward men."
    I concur with the other post that it is odd how sexist imagery is allowed by one contributor but inoffensive posts are deleted from others.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    harsh-but-fair likes this.
  8. Mainwaring

christmas-baubles-16201578.jpg Baubles.

9. Principal-Skinner

10. Mainwaring

On your Christmas wish list?

11. tuanjim

tuanjim New commenter

12. Dr CO Jones

Our little granddaughter, who will arrive here on Thursday, rang up yesterday and asked if we were going to have a Christmas tree. Blodwen (Mrs Jones) told her we already have two, one inside, one out, as we've collected so many fripperies from Christmases 'abroad' that one tree isn't enough. The indoor tree has all its ornaments above puppy height, as Bella the Bouncy ***** still has a childish sense of humour.
    funny-dog-xmas-pics04.jpg

13. tuanjim

tuanjim New commenter

14. Dr CO Jones

6372a6f3ce514335d232fd200f2b27bb.jpg 'The indoor tree has all its ornaments above puppy height, as Bella the Bouncy ***** still has a childish sense of humour.'

I note that my use of the correct term for our female dog has been bibbled. Presumably the grand piano at the TES Festival of Carols will be wearing bloomers and the Virgin Mary will be referred to as being in an interesting condition.

15. Mainwaring

16. Mainwaring

Reviving this festive thread from the days before Mrs Grundy was appointed as Chief Moderator. (I wonder how long it will last) and raising a glass to some great contributors who are no longer with us.

percy topliss likes this.
  17. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Ah, Cato I miss him not. This place has really become quite moribund of late, I must agree. But anyway, happy days to all, a fantastic, frivolous festive season to all.

Perce

18. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

Spending it in another country, avoiding going home for the relatives so that for the first time in 20+ years we can have some time to ourselves. There will be much wine and cheese to consume so I'll be leaving a diet plan here in the Middle Kingdom for when we return to the joys of mocks and marking.

Best of the season to you!

19. Mainwaring

Mrs M and I left the 'joys' of marking behind some time back but I do admit to a bit of mocking from time to time.

We are (just) now resplendent with a new leak-proof roof, which will have to stand for my Christmas present, especially as Mrs M has aspirations towards something circular involving a diamond. We are enjoying a brief lull from the jackhammers and angle-grinders before the muchachos return to install the new doors and windows. I love Christmas and all the trimmings so I hope to have the fripperies festooning the indoor (fake) and outdoor (real) trees before Noche Buena. Our tree ornaments are reminders of most of the places we've lived, beginning with the exotic (Wigan c. 1954) through Latin America, Africa and Asia.

Un brindis desde El Cortijo del Rector in the hills of Andalusia.

20. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

We're staying put for the holidays and looking forward to family visiting. Lots of fun things planned plus down time watching movies and chilling out. Mr. Librarian starts his PhD after the holidays so we're enjoying the calm before the storm.