1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Christmas Thread

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mainwaring, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

How are you planning to spend Christmas. Will it be deck the halls with boughs of holly or bah! humbug?

2. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Flopping on a beach in Thailand in a hotel with an excellent kids club. Minimal gifts for the kids, but we do have a three foot tree packed to put up in the room. Leaving next Saturday:)

3. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

In my pool.

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

ACE Club Christmas dinner plus "lashings of ginger ale"!!??

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

As a starter I shall be watching "The Grinch who stole Christmas" followed by a main dish of "Scrooge" followed by a dessert of Victor Meldrew in "One foot in the grave"
    The joys of Christmas?! Baaaaahhhh Humbug!!

6. tuanjim

tuanjim New commenter

Merry Christmas ALL! Yo, ho, ho and many a cask of Old Jamaica. And that go even for Yasimum and the Ozzers, poor benighted upside-down creatures that they be.

Things is looking very festive down ere in Davy Jones's Locker. We got a six foot tree which is all we can ackomerdate here atween decks. We'll plant it out after Twelfth Night and hope the coral avent died.

Ol Davy hisself be hangin the streamers cept o’ course they aint paper but four inch chain from a sunk lugger. We've broached a hogshead or six and be gettin ready to splice the mainbrace. Mother Carey be red in the face with roastin her chickens. Blackbeard have hung his baubles in his whiskers and have decorated a thirty-two pound cannon ball with a sprig of seaweed that do look very like holly. Buxom Anne Bonney have lit the port and starboard lanterns on her boosoms and be chasing Cap'n Kidd with a sprig of bladder wrack, mistletoe bein in somewhat short supply down here at a hundred fathom. (I never realised how much fun a sea chest could be till that girl come down here).

Bosun Clovis have decorated his belaying pin with tinsel (no, no, he conducts the choir with it) and handed out the sheet music for the Festival of Nine Lessons and Barrels. We be singin all the old favourites this year, such as Away in a Galleon and Ding Dong Merrily on Deck. Capn Flint be lighting the candles with his slow match and Henry Morgan ave put out a bottle of his best with the mince pies for when Ol Santa do come down the hatchway. So we'll all be tucked up our hammocks long before the graveyard watch.

A Merry Christmas and a Jolly Rogerin New Year from Captain Ananias Tuanjim X (his Mark in rum sauce) and all the boys and girls.

No Christmas cards please, but donations to Pirates' Widows and Orphans much appreciated. Round robins not replied to as we all expects to be pist incomunicardo until Epiphany.

Captain Ananias Tuanjim
    X his mark (in brandy butter).

Slung Between the Roundshot
    Nombre Dios Bay
    Off Panama CA

7. Mainwaring

8. Mainwaring

[bah!humbug].jpg
    Garn! You love it.

Attached Files:

9. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

In the lassitude of my latitude, life will go much as normal save for expat haunts where seasonal profits are to be made, however I have two personal rituals: a home-cooked fried breakfast with 'gunfire' coffee and, courtesy of my script-writing Gods Clement and La Frenais, either the Porridge or Likely Lads film spin-offs via youtube. Luckily where I am currently affords decent Cumberland sausages and Pussers' rum for the breakfast.

Oh, I think family, presents and (if you are that way inclined) Christianity often figure too...

10. oldgit

oldgit New commenter

As usual, i'll be camping in t'Magic Kingdom

11. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Family do with all the trimmings, here. Tree has been up for weeks, lights on the balcony , Christmas songs belting out!! Turkey is ordered, two or three cases of wine ordered, beer chilling in the fridge, presents still not bought!!! OMG!

Then fly to Thailand on the 28th to get over it all!!!

Merry Xmas and Best Wishes to All contributors - yes even you MM ( or should I call HerrHersteller) you silly old thing!

12. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

A whole lot of not very much! We're staying put, no travelling. Can't face the thought of getting on a plane. Quiet Christmas at home with friends and then a short jaunt somewhere on the island between Boxing Day and New Year. Desperately need to recharge my batteries. 19 week term has just about killed me!

13. Mainwaring

buxom_pirate_7_colored_by_rplatt.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  14. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Mrs T and the smaller Toplii departed last Saturday, I unfortunately have a week to wait. Mind you this will make for a festive 13 hour flight. Then into the midlands for a damp, but merry Christmas. Hope you all have whatever you wish too.

15. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

You know how to live Perce! Leaving the Land of Smiles for the Midlands in winter. Wow!!!

16. karel

karel Occasional commenter

For us its skiing in Austria this Christmas.

17. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

It will feel strange not to spend the season in balmy Ruritania, and walk by the ocean in pale sunshine on Christmas Day.

Hereabouts, golden autumn seems far distant, the skies are iron-grey and the leaves long fallen in our lavish parks.

But few places in the world do Yuletide with the feisty verve of Sankt Cäcilienstadt, so here we shall stay. Many a musical and gastronomic treat in prospect. And we’re promised snow...

We even have a tree, about to be decked with baubles from the Xmas market - and on the 24th we’ll imitate the locals by shovelling down goose, red cabbage and dumplings before taking the tram to the Opera.

And with a keg of Ur-Krostitzer or a gallon of Glühwein in his belly, a man can believe himself in Nombre de Dios Bay, perched atop Anne Bonney’s sea chest, his Jolly Roger waving in the breeze…

18. Mainwaring

IMG_5131 - Copy.JPG Candlelight Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols last night in a village church way out in the Andaluz boondocks. It was several years since we had last sung our there and we wondered if people would come, but there was standing room only, and with the aid of the portable gas heaters, the mulled wine, the stollen and the Minz Spies the atmosphere was far from chilly. The choir sang like angels (some rather unlikely ones in the bass section) and Morten Lauridsen’s O Magnum Mysterium was particularly moving. Now we deck the halls for the arrival from Brabant of Mainwaring not-so-minor, his light o’ love and our volubly bilingual youngest granddaughter.

19. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

A return to the Bavarian hinterlands for us, with snow forecast for early next week, so we live in hope that the small children will be able to sled down the same slope we used to bomb down 40 years ago. Happy week ahead!

20. ian60

ian60 New commenter

It's good to see some familiar names here.

It is also amusing to see the Capt (et al) described as a New contributor

I posted something similar years ago

Away in a strange school, a dick for a head
    The ex-patriot teacher has made his own bed.
    No NUT union rep
    No legal contract
    The ex patriot teacher knows he is f**ked