1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Christmas One

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by StrangePanda, Nov 29, 2019.

1. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

It's been a long, long term. How long until you finish?
    2 weeks for us...

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

2 weeks. Finish half day on the 13th. Back on the 6th of Jan

yasf likes this.
  4. bayern22

bayern22 New commenter

3 weeks left. 2 weeks Christmas. :(

5. 576

576 Established commenter

1 week to go.
    4 weeks off.

yasf likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

21st of December is when we finish.

7. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

We finished last Friday (22nd November) and go back on 2nd January. Well, everyone else does, I've left now!

8. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Two weeks, but next weekend is a four day weekend, so eight working days.

9. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Half day Friday 20th Dec return 6 January. Crazily, just 9.5 days later we break up for another fortnight for Chinese New Year. So basically, six weeks in a row of this academic year are lost...

10. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Where are you based?

11. february31st

february31st Established commenter

A great many Bilingual schools in Shanghai/Beijing are allowing western staff to take a couple of weeks vacation over the festive season while the Chinese staff and students remain in school. During the CNY close down, western staff have to remain in an empty school for 2 weeks working on admin and such before starting their CNY holidays.

12. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

China. The majority of international schools here have 3 weeks for Christmas (winter vacation) and 1 week for Chinese New Year. However, my school has 2 weeks for Christmas and 2 weeks for CNY. It works quite well when CNY is later but 2020 is ridiculous. It is an international bilingual school. Their thinking is that this keeps it fairer for both local and international staff alike. I used to teach in 2 schools here with the 3 Christmas weeks/1 CNY week, however, in reality most classes had only half attendance the adjacent weeks to CNY which is a waste of everyone’s time so I personally believe 2 weeks at CNY works well.

13. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

@february31st, genuine question: You really don't seem to like China or working there so why on earth are you still there? I see so much negativity on anything China related from you, I just don't understand why you don't get out. If it's very personal, please ignore, but really curious as to why you are sticking around unless your school is amazing (but judging by your posts none are).

And to not hijack the thread. 3 weeks to go, and then 3 weeks off. Yipee!

dumbbells66 likes this.
  14. february31st

China is fine as long as you know what you are doing and getting yourself into. Doing the international circuit is a minefield if you are not careful and done your research, just read many of the ISR comments on schools in China.

Working abroad is not an easy life as some may think.

I am still in China till I can find another job paying more than 75000USD/year in the bank as a classroom teacher.

15. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Thank you. I agree, it can be good when you know what's going on or it could be a total disaster. I was there myself and I have written one of those reviews... It's just that a lot you write is negative and there CAN be positives.

Anyway, I got myself out, because despite the money I earned being amazing, it didn't buy me happiness. On paper I'm earning less now, but my life has drastically changed for the better. Maybe really worth a try for you to see if something is out there? I'm really meaning it in a friendly way, you seem so grumpy at times, go out and smile in a new country!

16. february31st

Christmas holidays are important to western people and is part of our culture and you really do need to know what your school is doing with regards to the "winter holiday". China is now the same as the ME with regards to the "winter holiday" and they need to be open and honest about it to staff.

As for moving out of China its not as easy as I have a family to consider and children to finish secondary school and enter university. Not every country allows a spouse to work on a partners visa and not every school is suitable for western pupils to attend.

17. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Did exactly the same two and a bit years ago. My financial advisor told me to stay to keep topping up pension savings. I decided if I stayed, I might not be around to enjoy the pension savings. Took a pay cut of a third...but it was worth it.

mermy likes this.
  18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Sorry...to comment on thread subject. Two weeks to go

19. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

3 weeks to go (though long-weekend next weekend)

20. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

One week to go (OK, technically two but since it's Monday and this week has started it doesn't count any more.)

Feb31 - that arrangement makes sense to me. Us Westerners still get our Christmas holidays, the Chinese get the CNY holidays, and we also get time in school when the kids aren't there (which, as we all know, is when work actually gets done.)

From what I've seen, the ME actually varies on the "winter holiday." Remember that Jesus is seen as a prophet, rather than the son of God, so He's still important. There's also still a significant Christian minority in many countries (especially Egypt) so there's more likely to be a holiday around the Christmas / New Year period even if you take the Coptic calendar into account.

Personally, the Christmas holiday is a red line for me. I don't mind if it's two weeks or three, but there has to be one. I wouldn't consider a school which didn't offer it, and I actually think a lot of people would think the same way.

Teachallover likes this.