1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the choking game

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by whacko!, Mar 9, 2012.

1. A quick google shows that this seems to be genuine:
    http://www.closeronline.co.uk/RealLife/Reallifestories/teen-choking-craze-killed-my-little-boy.aspx
    Very sad.

2. I understand.the googling and it does.seem.very extreme but it really happening. Thank you.

3. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Why the sudden surge ni interest 2 years after hte article was printed? A sad story, but that and your low post count makes me wonder.
    Is it starting to re-surface here (UK)?

4. I have been campaigning since the day my son passed and yes this is an old article but there are more recent deaths to the game. Further more I now have the backing from my local mp regarding the game and may I say the low number count is possibly down to ignorance. If you haven't heard about it then you don't care well that's not the way it should be. Every adult should know this is happening esp those who work with children as it mainly is heard of or tried in school play grounds.

5. I asked my teenage son about it. He'd never heard of the'game' but it gave us an opportunity to discuss its dangers, if it were to arrive at his school.

6. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I didn't say that, didn't mean to imply it either. You surely cannot think that any reasonable human being would not care???
    I was merely wondering why, if this is such an issue that more is not publicised in the media? The most recent article I could find about it was two years old, and most came from the States. This combined with my lack of both direct or indirect experience, made me wonder, and indeed to ask you, if this was resurging in the UK. Which btw you didn't answer.
    Exactly what I mean - I and no-one I has spoken to has heard about it. So it was a genuine wonder, if it is re-occurring now.
    If indeed, it is the case that it is gaining popularity in playgrounds, then I will fully back any campaign you have. I will gladly email MP's, schools, the NHS etc to try and get this information across to them, if you can point me to the recent incidents wo I have a basis on which to work.
    Seriously - PM me if you want some help in the campaigning etc. If this is happening in schools now, then yes, it is a valid concern and should be highlighted by those in the know.
    I am truly sorry for the loss of your son.