1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The cheek of some people on ebay pt 2!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Dec 30, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yes i've ranted about ebay before on here, but here comes number 2!

I sold a nintendo DS in perfect working order on Ebay about a month and a half ago. The buyer has now sent me a messaging saying this:

I bought the DS from you as it stated it was in perfect condition. As this was a present for my son at christmas. After four days the ds is no longer working the touch screen is faulty. I now have an 8 year old son without his DS and very upset. I am getting in contact with you to ask that you refund some of the money I paid you so I can go out and buy him another one. If I have no response from you I shall have no other option but to contact Paypal and request a full refund.

The item is now outside it's 45 day resolution centre thing, so am hoping that if they take it further, ebay would take my side... the item was absolutely perfect when I sent it and the child has clearly broken it! Not sure what to do as I don't want to refund ANY money as I can't afford to! :( Plus i'm not sure if it's a scam to get some of the money back!

2. That's a hard one, I haven't sold anthing on ebay for just that reason. Can you point out that it was working when they received it and that it only went wrong after 4 days, surely they would have noticed any problems straight away? A faulty touchscreen would show up quickly I would have thought.
    Hope it all gets resolved for you easily.

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Can you request that the ds is returned to you so you can have an expert assess the damage to determine what sort of a refund is warranted. If it is obvious damage by the child then you can take it from there.

Good luck!

4. Frankly, it sounds like a scam. Any normal person would have tested it when it arrived to see that it worked.
    I don't know how ebay works but I assume you can contact them and tell them what's happened. Good luck.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well according to the lovely people on there, the buyer technically has no rights now because it's outside of the open dispute time... so all they can do is try for a charge back on their credit or debit card. I just can't believe it because that item was absolutely perfect and barely used!!

6. OK. So they tried and have failed cos they are outside the open dispute time.
    You can relax. And possibly reconsider selling on ebay. It doesn't sound all that stress free and easy to me!

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well yes they are, but am worried they might try a charge back, because I can't find my proof of postage even though she's admitted receiving it, apparently paypal want the proof of postage.

8. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

It might have had an unseen fault and has broken through the fault of nobody. But that is what the risked purchasing it cheap from a person on ebay. At worst, they have learned to at least purchase through an Ebay business. However, that would be more expensive. The resolution lies with you.

9. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

As the 42 days have passed there is nothing the buyer can do. Neither eBay nor paypal will open a dispute and if I were you I would offer nothing.
    It could be a scam, it may be true but 6 weeks is ample time to find out a problem. The automated ebay system will reject the dispute instantly.

10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well I just feel really quite upset by it to be honest because it was in perfect working order as she has admitted, and I don't intend to offer anything as she's had nearly 2 months to do this. I suspect the child has broken it!

My only worry as I said is if she does a chargeback because I can't find my proof of postage anywhere, have emptied out all my bags lol :-\

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

eBay own PayPal, so I'd be surprised if there was a great inconsistency between their refund policies. Politely suggest to the buyer that they go ahead and resolve the matter through eBay, then wait and see what happens. I suspect time is on your side here.

I once had a looney American buyer who didn't receive a parcel I sent, and demanded I send a refund to her boyfriend's unverified PayPal account, so it was physically impossible to transfer the funds. When I tried to explain this they started putting bogus non-paying winning bids on 'Buy it now' items I'd listed, and ranting at me via negative buyer feedback on these items. Part of the problem was she'd already listed the original item for resale at a profit before actually receiving it. It took ages to resolve, but in the end the feedback was deleted and she was de-registered from eBay. I also sent the miserable cow her refund in cash. Fortunately looneys are few and far between on eBay.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I sold a laser hair removal system on Ebay. Buyer paid and asked me if I could send her the receipt as it was present. I could not find it - but the buyer was desperate for it. Looked at the feedback for the buyer and she had purchased lots of laser removal systems. Must like giving them away as a present!!

13. Someone I know had his % reduced from a 100% as one person complained that the item bought was too expensive (we are talking £5 here). Well why did she bid for it then !!

14. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yeah it seems there are some real idiots on there! Am currently sitting it out waiting to see what she says. I've been reassured there's nothing she can do because she's over the 45 day ebay / paypal limit... so am gonna send a polite email saying i'm sorry there's nothing I can do and suggest she sells it herself over ebay for the money instead. It's just such a pain in the bottom to be honest! That's the first time i've sold anything of value.

15. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I wouldn't tell her to try to sell faulty goods. It will convince her that that is what you did.

16. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Oh too late. But then it wasn't faulty when I sent it, she's admitted it herself!

17. There are two possible versions of this scenario..
    1) even though you say she has had it for two months....7 weeks of that could have been spent wrapped and under the tree after been tested prior to wrapping....the excited child opens it on Christmas morning and loves it so much that he plays non stop with it and (through no fault of his own) the screen goes.
    Result one upset child and one pretty ****** off purchaser who (in all honesty) wishes she had paid twice the amount and got a new one with a guarantee.

2) even though you say she has had it for two months....7 weeks of that
    could have been spent wrapped and under the tree after been tested prior
    to wrapping....the excited child opens it on Christmas morning and
    loves it so much that he *** up on level three and,in a temper , wangs it at his sister.
    Result one upset child and one pretty ****** off purchaser who thinks by gobbing off she will get her money back.

Either way it is not your problem.

18. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Yes and while I appreciate that, she could have tested it herself when she received it, which common sense buying second hand, most people would think to do. If she was within her 45 day then I would let it go to a dispute and let ebay / paypal work it out, but since i'm in the clear time wise, I just think tough **** to be honest... It's not my fault, I sent a fully working DS to her which she has admitted, worked perfectly for 4 days. She did not need to go out and buy a new one TODAY, she could have waited and tried to fix it or for my response. Of course the shop would say there's nothing they can do! They want to sell a brand new one!

19. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Sorry I should have added that she replied and said she took it to the shops who said it wasn't fixable and promptly sold her a brand new one...

Also I suggested she could possibly sell it on for spare parts, not to sell a faulty DS...

20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

TBH. I wouldn't contact her at all. You have nothing to prove as she said herself that the item was perfect. If she wants to start a fruitless case, that is her concern and nothing to do with you.
    Your conscience is clear so let her deal with it and her, I suspect, scam.