1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The CHEEK of people on ebay!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Aug 21, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I just need to have a quick rant about ebay!

I am currently selling some of my things, including a brand new, stunning pair of shoes that are ex display stock. As a result they have a tiny dark scuff on one of the shoes. I put a piccy on so that people could see how small an insignificant the mark is, anyway, they haven't ever been worn and are in amazing condition, so I put a reserve of £25 and a buy it now of £40, having looked at sellers who are selling the same shoes, for £40-£50 - sometimes used! So I was actually lowering the price to less than them anyway, so a good deal.

So anyway, I log on today, and someone sent me a message saying

"Hi would you consider a buy it now of £15 including postage as I will have to get the shoes cleaned."

My reply?

"NO."

The cheek of it! My buy it now price is £40, plus £4 postage! If i sold them to her for £15, i'd be giving her £25 effectively! I just can't believe someone could be soooo cheeky as to even ask! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I just need to have a quick rant about ebay!

I am currently selling some of my things, including a brand new, stunning pair of shoes that are ex display stock. As a result they have a tiny dark scuff on one of the shoes. I put a piccy on so that people could see how small an insignificant the mark is, anyway, they haven't ever been worn and are in amazing condition, so I put a reserve of £25 and a buy it now of £40, having looked at sellers who are selling the same shoes, for £40-£50 - sometimes used! So I was actually lowering the price to less than them anyway, so a good deal.

So anyway, I log on today, and someone sent me a message saying

"Hi would you consider a buy it now of £15 including postage as I will have to get the shoes cleaned."

My reply?

"NO."

The cheek of it! My buy it now price is £40, plus £4 postage! If i sold them to her for £15, i'd be giving her £25 effectively! I just can't believe someone could be soooo cheeky as to even ask! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!

3. Some of the people who buy on ebay are taking the mick. OH sells regularly, and the number of people who ask for discounts (when buying one item!), is nearly as amazing as the number of parcels that go missing because people have given their old address, term time address, etc.. Not to mention the thieves who claim that parcels haven't arrived.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Their request has cost you nothing and your refusal has cost you nothing - it seems an odd thing about which to become annoyed.

5. Ebay is a funny thing. I've never had any problems (perhaps thankfully!), but oh got an email this morning telling him that a seller that he bought something from is cancelling the sale. Ok, fine, but we have paid for, received and used the item...
    I used to like browsing ebay and trying to pick up some bargains, but now with powersellers and the like I think there are fewer and fewer bargains to be had.

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

It's just the stupidity of it, when they can clearly see a buy it now tag of £40! If they'd been a bit more reasonable then I might have accepted, but come on... what a difference. On what planet did they think i'd agree?

7. doomzebra

so by your own admission you could have reduced your buyitnow price - ebay is an auction site, why get annoyed by haggling?

8. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I might have done if it was a reasonable request, but as I said, it was a stupid request, it wasn't even haggling. And I'll be annoyed if I want to thank you :)

9. doomzebra

Ah, so offering to buy from a vendor at a lower price isn't haggling?
    Got it

10. Doomzebra - you're an awkward b ugger sometimes.

OP, for what it's worth, I'd probably be a bit :-/ too. So shoot me.

11. There's a 'Make an Offer' facility that the OP could use if she was open to haggling. Seems to me she wasn't.

12. If a person is selling an item for £50 and I offer £10 that is not haggling that is taking the p iss.

The classic negative feedback received by Mrs. B was that the item was too expensive.This was removed by Ebay when Mrs. B pointed out that the buyer was the winning bidder in the auction and had paid exactly what she had bid. :¬))

13. doomzebra

Of course it is haggling - just as it would be in any marketplace

14. OH had a negative with the feedback "Great item, speedy delivery"
    ?

15. :)

16. The thing that annoys me about ebay is that normal laws don't seem to apply. People sell booze without a licence under the banner of "a collectable bottle", used electricals which haven't been PAT tested, counterfeit goods (I mean genuine counterfeits, selling at close to RRP NOT Dolce and Cabana style stuff) and ebay just don't care.

17. doomzebra

[​IMG]

18. Haggling is a two way process. If i walked into a Jaguar showroom and said i'll give you a tenner for that XJS I don't think the salesman would enter into the spirit of the Souk.

19. doomzebra

No, but it is still the start of a haggling process - and we are talking about an offer at almost 40% of the indicated price for a used product - not unreasonable and far removed from a tenner for a Jag

20. Ok I'll offer him 40k for a £100,000 car. I still feel he would tell me to p off.
    Unless a seller puts up a "make me an offer" button it is against ebay's T&Cs for a buyer to make an unsolicited offer.