1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the changes to EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by icklesmiley, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Does anyone know yet what changes are happening to the EYFS curriculum? EYFS profiles? Areas of learning? I know we can all still go onto the DFES website etc but you can only retrieve archived info!!! I was looking for the development matters statements for each area of learning but can't find them for one and don't want to print them out for the new learning journeys if all of the areas of learning are changing!!! Can anyone help?

2. Does anyone know yet what changes are happening to the EYFS curriculum? EYFS profiles? Areas of learning? I know we can all still go onto the DFES website etc but you can only retrieve archived info!!! I was looking for the development matters statements for each area of learning but can't find them for one and don't want to print them out for the new learning journeys if all of the areas of learning are changing!!! Can anyone help?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenandyoungpeople/earlylearningandchildcare/a00191829/government-sets-out-reform-of-early-learning-and-childrens-centres

The key proposals include:
    A new focus on three prime areas of learning in the EYFS so children are ready and able to learn at school. These areas are: personal, social and emotional development, physical development and communication and language.
    A slimmed down EYFS, cutting the number of learning goals from 69-17. The learning goals will be more closely aligned with Key Stage 1 to smooth the transition from reception class to Year 1.
    Assessment at age five will remain but instead of the current complicated scale point assessment children will be judged against 17 learning goals.
    A new check for every two-year-old in pre-school settings to pick up early any problems in a child's development or special educational needs. Going further than Tickell's recommendation, the Government will require all early years settings to provide this information to parents.
    New plans, to be consulted on in the autumn, to enable parents to access their free entitlement hours from 7am-7pm, and take the full 15 hours over two days rather than a minimum of three days.
    A new core purpose for children's centres, with a stronger focus on school readiness and supporting families. It clearly sets out the outcomes which children's centres should be supporting.
    Exploring how we can find new ways of running children's centres, such as mutuals and co-operative approaches, so parents and communities can be more involved in local decision making and services.
    New requirement on all local authorities to publish data on how much they are spending on children's centres in their area to improve local accountability.

4. This are just proposals? Not statutory are they?
    Have an 'informal' job interview next week so would be useful to be aware of this.

5. Msz

6. does anyone know when there is going to be any releases of the new framework i was hearing something about october/november but i have not heard anything since and the recommendations are varied and still being argued about so i dont know whats happening and its annoying

How long is it going to be out before the want it to be enforced i remember with the current eyfs we all had time to implement it before it had to be in effect? any educated or not so educated guesses?

7. Msz

The document is due to be published later this year and in schools Oct/Nov

8. The consultation is current live for the draft revised EYFS document. This ends at the end of sept and then the new framework will be published in early spring 2012. Only giving us practitioners a term before comes in from sept 2012.

9. Msz

Not sure how reliable as the schedule has vanished from the DeF site
    http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/1063265/EYFS-REVIEW-Timetable-new-EYFS-framework/The early years sector will have until the end of September this year to respond to Dame Clare Tickell's review of the Early Years Foundation Stage.
    The review was published on 30 March to general acclaim from the early years sector, large numbers of whom had responded to Dame Clare's call for views on how the current EYFS has been working.
    Following what is being regarded by the Government as a 'holiday' period including Easter, the Royal wedding and May bank holiday, the Government will respond to the review and a consulation will then run from June until the end of September.
    The EYFS framework will be revised and the final version published in October or November 2011.
    The new EYFS will be implemented in September 2012.

http://www.early-years-update.com/node/6707
    What's next?
    The next stage in the consultation process will be the government's response to the series of recommendations put forward in the review. This is expected in May this year. Thereafter there will be a second period of national consultation which will run from June to the end of September. All readers are encouraged to respond to this as it will be the final opportunity to influence the detail of the revised framework which is expected to be published in October/November 2011, ready for implementation in September 2012.
    http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/education-and-learning/speech-language-communication/universal-provision/early-years/ey-foundation-stage-framework.aspx
    N.B. The EYFS framework is presently being revised and the final version will be published in October or November 2011. The new EYFS will be implemented in September 2012.

It seems to me the message is it will go ahead (without changes to the proposals) whatever the current review says

10. Are the EYFS new goals out yet?

11. Not yet~ they're still tweaking I think. I went to a conference last week at which we were supposed to get all the new informed but sadly no paperwork ready yet as a few final decisions are still being made~ apparently.